1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers’ pay could be frozen because of huge pension cost of unlawful reforms

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Aug 8, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘The Teachers’ Pension Scheme has been hit by a £7 billion cost that one analyst has warned could lead to teacher pay being frozen or pensions being made less generous.

The TPS’s annual accounts for 2018-19, published yesterday, outline the expected impact of a Court of Appeal ruling about changes to public sector pensions schemes that were introduced in 2015.

The changes made the schemes less generous, but included transitional provisions to protect older members.’

https://www.tes.com/news/nightmare-ps7bn-pension-cost-could-hit-teacher-pay

What are your thoughts about the issue? Do you think it is fair that teachers’ pay could be hit because of the unlawful changes to public sector pensions?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So were these changes made to protect an ageing population?

I seem to remember my pension payments went up by £70 odd back in 2015... so how has my increased payments resulted in a black hole in the finances?

3. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

For me it's the headlines that get written that influence public opinion and I predict the governments "we can't afford it" will be rolled out thick and fast. What I'd like to see is something along the lines of "Government stopped from stealing billions from public service pensions (Maxwell only plundered millions)"

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I totally agree. This is just a PR exercise so that the government can roll out headlines showing yet another reason why teachers will not get a payrise.

I see no connection between the government being found guilty of stealing pension money and teachers not getting a payrise.

colpee and schoolsout4summer like this.
  5. diddydave

Or, in my alternative headline world:

"Government admits they tried to plunder £7billion pounds from public pensions"

6. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

It would be extremely spiteful of any government to take out their unlawfulness on the teachers by claiming that they could not afford to give teachers a pay rise. When you look around to see what they claim to be spending on brexit and the magic money tree for the DUP and the claims for the 350 million pounds a week, the government will just have to suck it up and explain the mistakes they made to the public. Not giving teachers pay rises is not going to help recruitment post brexit.

Laphroig and Stiltskin like this.
  7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Don't forget they have robbed loads of women in their late 50s and early 60s of up to SIX years of their state pensions! I don't think the teachers and other public sector workers are going to garner much sympathy from the public over this.

On the bright side, perhaps they've got something super special planned for us with all the billions they have saved.:)

Wot, is that a pig I see flying?:D:po_O

8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Teachers might be forgiven for thinking their pay had already been frozen...

eljefeb90 likes this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

How much would it save if we abandoned inspections/observations/learning walks and expected all teaching staff, including SLT, to teach instead of focusing on data/box-ticking?

10. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

It seems to be an equality case where, depending on your age or when your service began, members were given different levels of protection - a clear inequality. To equalise it, either everyone gets the protection, or no-one does. I suspect that the simplest answer will be to remove protections for older members of the scheme and make any changes to pensions affect all members equally. This would be unpleasant for members who had got some protection (and could be difficult to do if they are now claiming a pension) but would remove the potential deficits in all pension schemes.

11. letap

letap Occasional commenter

In short the government make a huge mistake which effectively discriminates against a large group of teachers. At the same time the cost cap for teacher's pensions is breached due in part to teachers not living as long as expected. The tax payers alliance (made up of a consortium of people who are paid far more than teachers with a significant unelected influence on government policy) advocate that teachers should not have a pay rise due to getting a significant pay rise as they go up the main scale - also implying that the bottom of the scale should be the normal teaching salary. At the end of the day teachers really have to vote on their feet and stand up for themselves and not put up with this ****.

12. diddydave

Whilst I agree that looks like a simple concept the reality is unlikely to be so straight-forward. As one of those who was given some of the protection the change you suggest would be akin to looking at my contract and deciding that you could alter the terms of it retrospectively, i.e. you could pay me less for work for which we'd already agreed an amount and that I have already done my part of the contract...I don't think that would stand up in court either. Of course the protection offered effectively comes to an end in 2022 so perhaps setting that as the date when everyone moves from one to the other would be used.

13. diddydave

@ScienceGuy - but should we be looking at it from that angle, why is it that the pay package of the public service should be the target of such cost cutting? Have we bought into the governments rhetoric and accepted that because the private sector, in general, have trashed their worker's pensions that it has to be so as well. Yes it costs billions to pay teachers, NHS, firefighters etc...but that's the cost of having them work for you.

baitranger likes this.
  14. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

@diddydave I agree 100%. Anyone who has worked in state education over the last ten years has seen pay stagnate , conditions decline and workload increase. Doubtless this appalling bunch of extremists we have in government and their paymasters in the press will try to saddle public service workers with the bill.It's all very well for me to say as I am retired, but it is really time for public service workers to threaten a general strike.

15. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

Or even better, implement a general strike. No threats, just do it. The trouble is we'd all have to agree the ultimate aim, and then all stick to it.

eljefeb90 likes this.