1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers on public transport

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rachbaxter, Mar 29, 2011.

1. OK, I'm in my 2nd year of teaching now and I can not drive. I have got a provisional licence but have not taken the plunge to book a lesson yet. I am perfectly happy on the buses, trains, and occasional lifts that people offer, thank you. So WHY do people treat me like a leper? "Oh you don't DRIVE? You'll have to start learning..." Yes it is inconvenient but not impossible and I don't need every Tom, Dick and Harry on my back. It's not illegal to travel by public transport! Are there any other teachers out there who don't drive? And yes, I have worked on supply as a non-driving teacher :-O

2. I don't drive and just use public transport (and my husband every now and then). It does limit you a little when looking for jobs, but it's not impossible by any means.

3. I know exactly what you mean! I travel by train and I get the whole poor you attitude. I've also done supply as a non driving teacher and sometimes walked 6miles a day to get to and from various train stations (this was the summer term) I loved it, I feel the walk from the train station wakes me up for the day ahead anyway.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I don't drive - tried it about 20 years ago and hated it. I occasionally think it would be convenient, and that I might be more confident now that I'm older. But I'm not really that bothered.