1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers on public transport

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rachbaxter, Mar 29, 2011.

1. OK, I'm in my 2nd year of teaching now and I can not drive. I have got a provisional licence but have not taken the plunge to book a lesson yet.

I am perfectly happy on the buses, trains, and occasional lifts that people offer, thank you.

So WHY do people treat me like a leper? "Oh you don't DRIVE? You'll have to start learning..."

Yes it is inconvenient but not impossible and I don't need every Tom, Dick and Harry on my back. It's not illegal to travel by public transport!

Are there any other teachers out there who don't drive?

And yes, I have worked on supply as a non-driving teacher :-O

2. amarantine

amarantine New commenter

I drive, but I don't half wish that I didn't a lot of the time, even if it is convenient! I'm a PGCE student on my second placement, and living at home with the parentals to save some money. The uni use schools in the Birmingham area, so being at home they're all a pain to get to. At the moment my journey consists of 20 minutes each way up and down the M5 and then ages trying to get through town, both first thing and when I leavel. I wish I could get public transport, purely because that drive every day is knackering and a massive drain on my (lack of) finances. But I live 3 miles from the nearest town, there is one bus a week, and trains don't run that way from my local station. So the 45 minute commute it is...