1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers on my PGCE aren't helpful or nice!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lil_lynz, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hey, I'm so unhappy at my first placement school! The teachers are too laid back, don't plan lessons, come in on the day to print off worksheets and my mentor just says do whatever you want! Some might say what's the problem?! But then my mentor gives me feedback on my lessons and it is mostly positive however the areas of concern could have been avoided if my mentor gave me 5 mins of her time beforehand. Then there's one teacher who bawled me out the other day like one of the school kids. She came to me 15 mins before my lesson and told me to change it because the pupils were doing posters the day before and had been really enjoying it and this day they were suppose to go onto computers but we thought then it was a good idea to just let them continue doing the posters on paper. So I tried in those few minutes to prepare work for those who had finished their posters as she wouldn't allow me to let them use the laptops (they are suppose to do a presentation on paper then on the computer). I went to class and taught the lesson. I thought it went OK. But after she had a go at me saying that I hadn't been prepared enough. I let it go but she started again to me later when she saw me and I tried to tell her that she had told me she was going to keep all the art materials in the room for me to use and that I needn't both putting them away. As she said I shouldn't have went next door to get the art materials during a class whether there was another teacher there or not. I'd said to her that I agreed but that she had told me she would keep the box there for me which she replied then that I still should have came earlier to check. Of course I did, I came to her class before my lesson was due to start and she shook her head for me not to come in as she was teaching. She also told me to just write the learning objectives on the board as well as the success criteria. So I did and then her complaint was that I should have put them on a slide and that I'd put to much info on the board. Which I admitted there was too much info but that I hadn't really time to prepare a lot but yes I'd know for the next time. I think it was her attitude, if she had of just said "listen that isn't how it's done" I wouldnt be on here ranting about it but she gave me the look and told it just wasn't acceptable in a teachery way, raising her voice and shaking her head. Do all teachers not make mistakes and it is fair that she spoke to me in that way? What should I do? I dont feel happy there anymore.

2. Hey, I'm so unhappy at my first placement school! The teachers are too laid back, don't plan lessons, come in on the day to print off worksheets and my mentor just says do whatever you want! Some might say what's the problem?! But then my mentor gives me feedback on my lessons and it is mostly positive however the areas of concern could have been avoided if my mentor gave me 5 mins of her time beforehand. Then there's one teacher who bawled me out the other day like one of the school kids. She came to me 15 mins before my lesson and told me to change it because the pupils were doing posters the day before and had been really enjoying it and this day they were suppose to go onto computers but we thought then it was a good idea to just let them continue doing the posters on paper. So I tried in those few minutes to prepare work for those who had finished their posters as she wouldn't allow me to let them use the laptops (they are suppose to do a presentation on paper then on the computer). I went to class and taught the lesson. I thought it went OK. But after she had a go at me saying that I hadn't been prepared enough. I let it go but she started again to me later when she saw me and I tried to tell her that she had told me she was going to keep all the art materials in the room for me to use and that I needn't both putting them away. As she said I shouldn't have went next door to get the art materials during a class whether there was another teacher there or not. I'd said to her that I agreed but that she had told me she would keep the box there for me which she replied then that I still should have came earlier to check. Of course I did, I came to her class before my lesson was due to start and she shook her head for me not to come in as she was teaching. She also told me to just write the learning objectives on the board as well as the success criteria. So I did and then her complaint was that I should have put them on a slide and that I'd put to much info on the board. Which I admitted there was too much info but that I hadn't really time to prepare a lot but yes I'd know for the next time. I think it was her attitude, if she had of just said "listen that isn't how it's done" I wouldnt be on here ranting about it but she gave me the look and told it just wasn't acceptable in a teachery way, raising her voice and shaking her head. Do all teachers not make mistakes and it is fair that she spoke to me in that way? What should I do? I dont feel happy there anymore.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Take a deep breath. Take the points on board. Move on.
    They are qualified. What they do on a daily basis maybe 6 times a day, and what you have to do to achieve QTS are not the same. Maybe it's not fair, but it is true. If you think your mentor is too laid back and you want more support, ask for it.

4. I am really sorry to hear you are having a bad time.
    It it unacceptable that the teacher has been speaking to, or shouting at, you like you are one of the students. Do your best to let it go. Take the advice of not putting too much information on the board and whatever else she has told you (although I think putting too much information on the board should be the least of your worries). If she continues to have the same attitude with you, you could possibly mention it to your mentor or professional mentor if it seemed okay to do so. If not, mention it to your uni.
    As for your mentor saying 'do what you want', some are quite relaxed, and in your next placement you will probably miss this as the workload is tremendous! However, ask your mentor for advice and points on what you could do/improve on, and seek advice from other teachers also.
    I didn't feel happy on one of my placements it does really get you down, you will just have to try your best to get on with it - it will be over in no time.
    Good luck, I hope things improve for you.