1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers of colour

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SAHD, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I mean asian/black etc etc etc... whats it like? Are you treated fairly or like a third class citizen... do you even get a look in?

2. I mean asian/black etc etc etc... whats it like? Are you treated fairly or like a third class citizen... do you even get a look in?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Never been a problem.
    In my experience it is your passport which is the most important not your ethnicity. The Middle East is the most glaring example of this.

4. Compared to where?

5. To the UK? Ok obviously as a teacher of colour I have some issues here in the UK eventhough I am British born and bred. But its alot better than being of colour abroad... or are they? DOes it all have to do with the colour of the passport?
    What about outside school...?

6. No, it is not better abroad - in the countries/continents I have worked in, anyway.
    Barriers are hard to break down.
    Far east and middle east are tough to break if you are not white.
    Your accent will be an issue. More imporant than colour.

7. lostintheworld

lostintheworld New commenter

I am a British Pakistani, and I have successfully worked in a school in Cairo, loved every mintue of it. Now in my 2nd stint aboard in Dubai.

Phoney is right about having a dodgy accent.

But dont be put off, just apply, and you never know.

Your English has to be perfect and most importantly your accent cannot have any traces of.....

Good luck

LITW

8. lostintheworld

lostintheworld New commenter

Sorry to add anothing.....

Be aware, there will always be somes traces of distcrimincation cos of your colour, sometimes open but most times very discrete. You will have sometimes feelings have being treated like a 2nd class.....

But you gotta be tough and take it on ur chin and ignore such filth and scum....who still in this wide-open world hold views of aginst people based on the colour of their skin.....

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The worst place I found for casual racism was the UAE.