1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers of AQA B

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by deva_1982, Apr 12, 2011.

1. We teach the morality paper(next year) and the citizenship on currently.
    We have large mixed ability classes in both year 10 & 11, consitently getting more than geography.
    We teach Christianity and Buddhism as lower ability find it easier to contrast pleasing God and gaining karma etc.
    Certain issues such as religious identity and the veil in Islam may work well so I like the fact the pupils are not limited to how many religions they can write about.
    50% of marks can be gained on own opinion and it is just a case of getting them use to the 'instruction' words as the marks are not always distributed in a formatted way.

Really pleased so far- fingers croseed it continues. Although think morality is easier to study first

2. Hi there

I found brilliant revision guides by Hodder Education, 'Religion and Life Issues AQA B' (other route also have guides). Where it has been written by the examiners, it gives you a much clearer insight into what the examiner is looking for. I am also covering Christianity/Buddhism as key focus but have told students to bring in what they might think appropriate from another religion when answering exam questions.

3. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

We also do Christianity and Buddhism, although a lot of schools seem to do Christianity and Islam. C and B give lots of scope for comparison and my students enjoy B at KS3.

We focus on C as the main one as there is more material available (especially in the 'Religion and Young People' topic - 'Religion and Life' unit).

I tell students that they can bring in other religions but they must be sure of their facts. Some of them have brought in either Sikhism or Islam in their end of topic assessments but unfortunately they have given incorrect information! Has led in nicely to the 'Religion and Prejudice' topic though :D

4. lesley66

lesley66 New commenter

i used to teach Christianity and Buddhism - for the contrast (and because most kids actually find Buddhism interesting!), but have taught Christianity with Islam and with Judaism. I think there are plus's and minus's to each. I can't say either way outshone the other.
    There is now no rule about how many religions a student uses across the exam. I find that if they have two religions to work from, they can get to the higher marks better because they have a breadth of stuff to use. You could use different religions in different topics. I would stick to one or two at the most for any topic - so that they aren't tempted to write about too much and so compromise time or get confused.
    In terms of structuring, for a four mark answer they really need to be making three points which they explain clearly. A list of points without any explanation won't get more than 2 usually. For six marks they'd need to be giving four or five points and explaining quite a few of them. I'd expect six mark questions to be rare except where you can write from two religious viewpoints (and of course the evaluation six marker) - so they are actually straightforward because you are giving two lots of answers to the one question (one per religion). The best answers always use quotes, so they need to make sure they have them in their answers.