1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers not supporting strike action

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laoislbuachill, Nov 27, 2011.

1. It's amazing, all in this together? what an understatment.
    I called a meeting (as we have no union rep) about the strike action on Wednesday in our small school. Ended up with just me striking last time, (and got a very frosty reception for it next day) but this time there's one more teacher alongside me.
    my point being that I know we all have our own viewpoint and opinions for striking but, and this is what really gets me, is that the others are not losing a days wages over it but anything negotiated through the unions, they will recieve the benifit.
    Anyone in a similar position?
    School is not closing by the way, class being covered!!!

2. thingwall

thingwall New commenter

Good on you. 'Twas ever the way. I don't know any non-striking teacher who's happy with the original Government plans. There's already been one climb-down by the Government due to Union pressure and there'll be another one after Weds. I don't imagine any non-striking teacher who's a member of a striking union has written to their MP asking to take the original offer.
    While you're at it become the Union Rep. You'll find you're entitled to a lot and I've always found management treat you with more respect.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

if anything directly attributable comes from the strike or the next time our pay goes up or plans to remove PPA are challenged or SATs are finally abolished or HTs are prevented from having anyone with a pulse (optional) in front of aclass or whistleblowers are protected or bullies are unmasked you will be able to hold your head high and make as much frost as you can stand!!
    Well done for sticking to your principles in a horrible situation, those of us surrounded by colleagues, who at least see the point if not wholly behind the idea of strike action, forget what a luxury that must seem to others.

4. man501

man501 New commenter

If your striking your class should not be covered, tell your head or get in touch with your union.

5. Get in touch with your union ASAP, our Head wanted to cover the classes with supply last time around but was told it can not be done and is against the rules!

6. Eh-uh. Like on Britain's Got Talent. No there won't.

7. Im confused...you do care about a days pay? Or you don't? If it matters that much then dont strike. If it doesn't matter, then stop griping.
    The cuts being made are hardly comparable to 1 days pay. How about if all those who didn't strike took a single 'days pay worth' cut to their pension? Would that be fair?
    Are you striking for the good of the proffession or the good of yourself? What about all those soon to graduate, soon to start uni or aspiring teenage teachers...they're not losing a days pay either! Either you think everyone should get a fair pension or you don't. The loss of days pay is a small price to pay if your principals mean this much to you.
    Those of us not striking are also standing by our principals, please respect this.
    PS. I am so sick of this argument against us non strikers that I'm tempted to chuck £100 in the sea to prove how much I'm not against strikes because I cant be bothered or because I 'cant afford' to lose a days pay. FYI I'm a supply teacher and to avoid any unintentional scabbing I wont be working. So I'm still losing a days pay.
    I dont respect the strikes but I do respect the fact that you want to do this so I will not be covering striking teachers. Its their strike, not my place to override it.

8. I'm a supply teacher and there is no chance of me going to work on Wednesday.

9. I totally agree with Tills, if you strike because you are fully behind the strike and you totally agree with it and you believe in it and then you are prepared to strike and lose a day's pay then I really can't see the 'but they aren't losing out' argument.

10. Why do you think you should strike in the middle of on-going negotiations? Could you repeat on here, without Google, what is actually on the table? Do you know how teachers' pensions compare with other peoples'? Do you think that private sector workers should fund your excessive pension when theirs have long since been brought in line with economic reality? Do you have any idea about the seriousness of the economic situation of other European countries and how the Government is working to avoid this happening to you?

11. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Oh I love a challenge. Excuse me for not quoting all the exact figures from memory but here's why many younger teachers are striking.
    I feel that I must strike as the proposed increase from 6% to 9% in pension payments will adversely affect my living / money I am left to pay bills on.
    On the table, at the moment, is some form of 'protection' for those that are ten years from retirement to maintain their current conditions (career end salary calculation instead of average). As I'm at least 30 years away from retirement, I am hit very hard with these proposals.
    I do know how pensions compare. I took independent pension advice before deciding TPS was best for me. To be candid, my pension is not excessive when you add in the qualfications I have, the experience and hard bloody work I put in.
    At last count, the TPS scheme was considered healthy with at least a 50 year 'yield' on the pot of money but as Gove and the government wont consider some form of independent analysis of the pension fund, I can't quote the exact figures (unless I google them).
    Economic reality? I clear about £1450 per month as a single person who pays a mortgage, car loan, all his bills etc. That's reality. Single people are hit very hard under these proposals and I am already considering my options. Most likely, I will 'loose' £160 per month, factoring in the rise in National Insurance as well. That will reduce my take home pay to about £1300. That's less than what my costs are (and I've mamaged my finances with great care to remove any excessive payments for any commitments).
    I'm very aware of how Europe is faring at the moment and here's the slight difference. The UK economy / credit rating is generally 'good' (setting to one side the issue of public debt). Other countries that are part of the Euro generally had lousy finances or were dragged down by the poor financial management of very weak economic growth. Germany and France are in a 'better' position partly due to being stronger in the first place financially.
    To put it politely, I bloody well know what is going on and I will strike. This time, the pressure that is needed to be applied to deal with these appalling proposals is needed by all.

12. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

What concessions have been made exactly?
    The 3% is a tax increase not to fund my pension in XX years but to help the country deficit. Why should teachers feel the brunt of this?
    When are MPs reviewing their pensions? Who will get final say over this?
    This isn't a private secor vs public sector issue, you've bought the govt's bulls--t if you believe that.
    When are bankers, chief execs and their bonuses going to be brought into line with the country's <u>economic reality</u>?
    Could have fooled me.

13. There is no pension fund in the sense of private sector pensions. What the unions are asking is that the taxpayer borrows even more money to fund retired teachers. Do you feel comfortable with not paying your way and saddling my children and grandchildren with the cost of your retirement? If you do not believe reality or understand "affordability" why don't you take your 6 (.4) % into a private pension and see how much you get out of that? Why do private sector workers not get your pension deal? Because you forgot to mention the taxpayer subsidies.

14. Private sector workers did use to have our pension deal. I used to get 14% from my employer - final salary, non contrib.
    They don't now for two reasons:
    1. When their employers told them they couldn't afford to pay the pensions anymore, they said 'Oh *** - OK then'.
    2. Because large/medium employers choose to pay the money they could be spending on pensions for their bottom/middle rung employees on massive bonuses, salaries and pension contribs for the people at the very top of the company ladder.
    Tesco and Barclays can't afford decent pensions for their checkout staff and tellers - oh please!
    'Race to the bottom' anyone?

15. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

So you've read none of their post but reeled off some Tory drivel about the luxuries of public sector workers?

Thrilling.

16. If a teacher is due to have PPA on strike day and is striking, should PPA time be made up at another time?

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No. It falls under directed time and as such will be lost.
    Cake/Eat it/Can't.

18. dc521

dc521 New commenter

24601, here's the response:
    I used the term 'pension fund' as it's easier to use rather than to roll out the terminology. You do have to remember that people put things into terms that are general or easier to use.
    I do pay my way and have done all my life.
    Don't give me the 'future generations' arguments when you have to remember one thing: my pension will have to pay for my basic means when I retire. If it's not enough to live on, then it will be one of many people that need state support.
    I live in the real world and don't need comments about reality. I understand affordability rather too well. Clearly, you did not read my post and the cost impact this will have.
    I thought it was 6.4% on the TPS. The private sector pension arragnements are that: a private arrangement. When there is a national agreement in place that covers more people, it tends to be seen as a 'better' deal (collective bargining / the sheer volume of people in the scheme).
    OK, taxpayer subsidies. I pay taxes. I'm paying my way. So? Part of the reason that the TPS scheme has such an investment in it is to encourage people to become teachers to ensure that the profession has the best people in the classroom. Also, there are different forms of subsidies made by the taxpayer for all types of schemes. Shall we remove any subsidies from the banks? How about subsidies for rail travel? I know, let's clips back all the subsidies for all things and see the impact then.
    I have to ask 24601 if you are a teacher or just a troll on the warpath?