1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers no1 target?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by FluffyKat, Jun 29, 2011.

1. This thread covers it:
    Respect Thread
    And as to No1 target? Avoiding targets.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Just ignore the comments. Everybody talks a good game, but when push comes to shove, are unwilling to step up to the plate and enter a classroom.
    As for Gove saying that by striking we lose respect, it would be a good comment if it came from a profession that had some respect to begin with. If the country felt that the airline staff striking disrupted things, it has absolutely no idea what is going to happen to it once the schools go on strike.

3. staxis

staxis New commenter

When people talk to you about teacher holidays, you can always invite them to sign up if they think teaching is so good.
    As for teaching being a respected profession, deep down I think it is. Don't forget, a lot of people are reacting to their own situation at the moment. They may have had their own pension rights reduced and may be a little jealous of teachers' pensions, for example. This may come out as 'teacher bashing' but I bet they value the work that Ms Smith does for their own children in their local school.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

Nice comment Staxis. We have to set this aginst the collapse of pensions in many other parts of thhe economy, along with lies in the media. A year ago I read about how a teacher with 30 years under their belt can retire on a 2/3 pension. If only...
    The Government is rattled - hence the vituperative nature of their comments. Where we go after this remains to be seen. We need to decide what we would like and more pertinently what we will settle for. We will almost certainly need to concede some things but need a clear view of where to go in the new academic year. The assaults will continue - Academies setting their own pay scales that will be undoubtedly be limited by government funding will be the next step.
    Quite how we get round this I am not sure - it will take a while for the free market to find the value of teachers - which it will when the economy recovers and jobs enabling the faster repayment of debts start to be more available.
    Meantime, we need to stay strong and smart
    P