1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers need to supervise children cleaning their teeth in schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

I live in a city where all the NHS dentists are full. (I don’t have children but I imagine finding a dentist is tough in certain places). All our local dentists either moved or changed to private. The only ‘local’ dentist is in the next town and they have no appointments for school holidays, they prioritise private patients, so trying to get an appointment a year in advance is almost impossible.

Not all people face the same challenges but I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as you all say. I blame the government for allowing so many dentists to practice privately. Now they’re reaping the ‘rewards’ and realising that so many people have poor oral hygiene. Instead of opening up more NHS dentists, they are pushing this back on a profession that has traditionally rolled over on these types of requests because we don’t stand together and our unions are not strong enough. This is a medical issue, but if it were to be usher back on GPs, the medical unions would just say no.

2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

snowyhead and Pomza like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

All the more reasons for the parents to be scrupulous about teaching their children to clean their teeth twice a day, and then supervise them to make sure they do it...And no rely on teachers/TAs to do so.

Incidentally all parents should know about this:

Dental emergency and out-of-hours care
    If you need urgent dental treatment, contact your usual dental practice. They may be able to see you or direct you to an urgent dental care service.

If you don't have a regular dentist, contact NHS 111 for advice on where you can get urgent care.

The cost of emergency dental treatment is currently £21.60. You may be advised to make another appointment for a separate course of non-urgent treatment.

If this happens, you'll have to pay a second charge in the relevant treatment band.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care/nhs-out-of-hours-services/

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah they have to ‘ teach ‘ them to clean their teeth ? Why stop there ?

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

This has been the case in our area for a decade (how long it's been a formal requirement I can't say). Schools also have to give breakfasts as well as lunch.
    Some schools/nurseries have to do bedtime stories too (not kidding-it was in the news recently).
    Many areas offer meals/free childcare/holiday activities/presnts even to parent who get lots in benefits-one has several holidays a year and has had cosmetic surgery, which most teachers I know can't afford.
    But teachers are a lazy bunch-they haven't offered to give birth to the kids yet!

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I teach a number of children, who without the kindness of school staff, would have no breakfast, no PE kit, no decent shoes and no winter coat to wear. And, yes, social services are aware of the parental (I use that term loosely) neglect.

Providing them with a toothbrush and cutting their finger and toenails is an act of kindness we also extend to these children. However, it's not something that authorities should be burdening schools with - what they should be doing is ensuring that no child slips through the safeguarding net.

7. Crommo89

Crommo89 New commenter

I find so many of the replies rather depressing. Essentially they seem to be saying that looking after their own children is to6awkward so let somebody else do it.