1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers need to supervise children cleaning their teeth in schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 5, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

The list of jobs that teachers are expected to do seems to be getting longer every month, but would you have guessed this particular request to help reduce tooth decay in children?

‘Teaching staff should supervise tooth brushing in London schools to stop children getting tooth decay, a report has urged.

The London Assembly health committee also called for the capital’s schools to become “sugar free” by 2022 by banning sugary items like biscuits and fizzy drinks.

According to the report, by the time children in London reach five, over a quarter are suffering from tooth decay.’

Where will the list of extra-curriculum jobs end?

https://www.tes.com/news/teaching-staff-urged-supervise-pupil-tooth-brushing

2. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

And again, another parental responsibility drops down to us.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

4. powerpointdave

powerpointdave New commenter

No, just not my job.

Mrsmumbles and agathamorse like this.
  5. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I wish somebody had created a list which was added to every time these stupid requests came through... You know just so we could see them in all their glory!

6. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Time for parents to do their role of parenting ...

7. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I totally agree with the proposal for sugar free schools. Problem is that schools outsource canteens and the companies make money from selling sugary drinks and snacks.

Brushing teeth needs to be done at home. Simples.

agathamorse, nomad and stonerose like this.
  8. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Well school are apparently already potty training some kids.....

agathamorse, nomad and stonerose like this.
  9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

This has been happening in nurseries and reception classes for some time. Teeth decay is the biggest cause of hospital admissions for children under 10. More than tonsillitis, asthma, infections put together.

It is shocking, even more so because many of those have not been to a dentist. But then how easy is it to find a dentist? Especially one that is near enough to walk to?

As with all of these things, the issue is more complex than just parental responsibility.

10. FrankWolley

Pretty easy, unless you live in the middle of nowhere..And many Dentists take children as NHS patients even of they don't take adults...

This is actually about unfit parents....

Sally006, agathamorse and stonerose like this.
  11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Not where I live. I live on the edge of a county town but my nearest dentist is still abut 1.5 mlies away. I can't walk that any more, I'm lucky I have a husband that drives. When I first moved here there were 4 within half a mile. 3 closed, one merged to make a big practice on the other side of town.
    I'm not suggesting parents have no part to play, just that if you have to choose to pay bus or taxi fare to visit the dentist, or eat that day, I'm pretty sure I know what most people would choose.

12. FrankWolley

I presume you don't have children of school age anymore, but most of those who do can and should either use child benefit to pay for a bus ride to take them to the dentist once every 6 months for a check up, or perhaps walk!

And above all else they need to spend time ensuring their children brush their teeth twice daily!

agathamorse and stonerose like this.
  13. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

What happened to the toothbrush bus scheme ? Did someone get hepatitis from accidentally using another childs' toothbrush or did teachers just get fed up and abandoned it ?

14. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

How so? Are parents not meant to be 'parents'?

nomad likes this.
  15. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I'm sorry but poverty cannot be an excuse for everything. Dental care for children is free. Many of my class do not see a dentist. There are several practices within walking distance. Many come to school clearly not having brushed their teeth. Parents need to buck their ideas up and stop expecting everything from teachers.

I grew up in a single-parent family with a mum on benefits. We were in poverty. For part of that time, we lived rurally with the nearest dentist being a drive (bus ride for us) away. We still saw a dentist and we still brushed our teeth. It's about taking responsibility for your children and some parents are attempting to take less and less.

16. Imzadi_chester

Imzadi_chester New commenter

A dentist you can walk to?! Our nearest NHS involves an hour and a half drive all the way around the wash, and then the same return journey.

17. FrankWolley

You live in the middle of nowhere then... Or haven't looked (even some dentists who only offer private treatment offer NHS treatment to children...)

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Snowball7

Snowball7 New commenter

19. Snowball7

Snowball7 New commenter

Yes we have to supervise Year 1 children brushing their teeth now. It started off in Reception and Head wanted it to carry on. Even more annoying the cost of the toothbrushes 3 x year has to come out of our yearly budget - Oh and in my spare time I have to wash the toothbrushes and the bus in hot water weekly. You couldn't make it up !!

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

snowyhead, agathamorse and Piscean1 like this.