1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers misusing PowerPoint - do you say anything?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by l0vaduck, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I've sat through two consecutive assemblies for my form where the delivery consisted of a teacher reading from a six page PowerPoint - each slide containing nothing but text - in paragraphs.

The embarrassing thing is we're doing a cross-curricular presentation unit in ICT with this year group and we've been telling them that PowerPoint is a visual medium, should contain minimal text, and to use speakers' notes for anything more.

How many people would approach the member of staff concerned, and if you did, what would you say?

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Three hints I've found useful for students and staff
    5 or 10
    5 lines of text or can it be read in 10 seconds
    Don't do double
    try to keep the number of slides under double figures
    Dump the dull
    If you think a slide is boring then how do you think your audience feels
    Oh yes, and the most important of all
    You not ever and I do mean ever .. yes even after hell has frozen over been heated up again and been frozen over an infinite number of times more... you may not ever... .
    use the ricochet sound effect
    at any point in your presentation
    No! not even if it is "just quiet, in the background sort of "
    No! not even in a slide show "about western cowboys and guns and stuff"
    Never
    Ever
    Right ?

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Using Powerpoint is a misuse of the audience's time full stop. I've never seen a good one.

4. Shame - I've seen loads, but then we teach how to do them properly. Give your students a challenge - force them to have a maximum of one image and five words per slide.

5. Love it!

6. I'd much rather have something to look at than just someone talking to me - maybe I'm a "visual learner" or something! I also think that preparing a decent set of slides, according to all the rules above, helps to focus the speaker on what the key points are. I've been to a few training sessions where PowerPoint was used well - for example at some of the AQA GCSE controlled assessment and exam feedback meetings.

7. Have you considered showcasing this- http://www.pecha-kucha.org/

I tried this with my year 8 students and initially they found it to be a real challenge, but they love it now!

I think it's a really quick way to communicate information effectively for both teachers and students.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm not saying people shouldn't have something to look at, I'm just saying Powerpoint doesn't do it for me. If you want me to read something, give me a sheet of paper with it on, then I can read it and annotate it. If you want me to look at pictures or film, fill the screen with them so I can see them properly. If you want me to listen to your voice, talk to me - I'm perfectly capable of listening. I can remember when presenters used OHP transparencies and insisted on covering them with a bit of paper then revealing each point in turn by moving the paper slightly, like the final phases of a solar eclipse. That used to irritate the hell out of me too. Powerpoint is simply an extension of that drip-feeding mentality.

My problem is I'm a 'give it me here and let me get on with it myself - I'll interact with you if I need help' type of learner. It's how I learned pretty much everything I know about computers anyway. Watching Powerpoints is a bloody nightmare for people like me, so I seriously dislike having to teach it.