1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers' Maternity Pay

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by seska, Jul 3, 2009.

1. I'm 10 weeks pregnant (and very happy!) and got a letter giving me a brief outline of my maternity entitlement. Having done a little research beforehand, I was surprised to see that the letter didn't match what I was expecting.
    I've been teaching in the same school (and therefore same LEA) for 4 years, full time. According to the 'Burgundy Book' I should get:
    Ordinary maternity leave of up to 26 weeks which will be paid leave as follows:
    <font face="Symbol">&middot; first 4 weeks of absence: full pay inclusive of Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP);
    </font><font face="Symbol">&middot; next 2 weeks: 90% of a week&rsquo;s salary inclusive of SMP;
    </font><font face="Symbol">&middot; next 12 weeks: half pay plus &pound;100 SMP;
    </font><font face="Symbol">&middot; </font>next 8 weeks: &pound;100 SMP.<font face="Arial"> Plus additional Mat Leave of a further 26 weeks unpaid, if I wish.

My letter says:
    6 weeks at 90%
    12 weeks 50%
    21 weeks SMP

Any thoughts, anyone?
    Thanks in advance.
    </font>

2. Stupid font... 'Burgundy Book' says:
    4 weeks full pay
    2 weeks 90%
    12 weeks 50% plus SMP
    8 weeks SMP

3. Hmm. I'm in Scotland, but I'm sure it's the same across Britain. For my teaching job I will get 13 weeks full pay (OMP) and 26 weeks SMP.

4. PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire New commenter

I haven't even had a letter... I'm 31 weeks pregnant now. [​IMG]

5. Hi. I teach in England. Have done so for five years.Your first post according to Burgundy Book and NOT your letter is correct according to my understanding. I'd query the figures given in your letter. Hope this helps.

6. PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire New commenter

I was under the impression I'd get what the burgundy book says as well...

7. We don't appear to get a Burgundy book up here...

8. The Burgundy Book is only for England and Wales, I think.
    I'll phone HR on Monday and ask questions. It's probably our council being a bit clueless and sending out the wrong stuff again.

9. Neither are correct!!! (unless I have read them incorrectly). Your Burgundy book version is old - the paid part of mat leave (at decreasing levels) increased from 26 weeks to 39 weeks just over 2 years ago.
    Full Burgundy Book Entitlements are now....:
    • 4 weeks: full pay (including SMP)
    • 2 weeks: 90% pay (including SMP)
    • 12 weeks: 50% pay plus flat rate SMP
    • 21 weeks: Flat rate SMP
    • 13 weeks: unpaid
    See http://tesfaq.brendenisteaching.com/pandc/maternity.htm#Q2

10. mermy

mermy New commenter

What clg says. I will get exactly that.

mongate likes this.
  11. Moi too