1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers leaving the profession report

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cillia, Jul 10, 2018.

1. cillia

cillia New commenter

goo.gl/pnxREB . here is a report done by DFE on why some teachers are leaving the profession.
    some of the conclusions drawn are interesting.

upload_2018-7-10_15-36-54.png
    TEACHER: Jake Rusby left after just three years

"Lesson planning, marking, carrying out assessments, parents evenings - there was always something to do.

"I felt very much under pressure to move children on in their learning, to meet their targets," says Jake Rusby, who left teaching after three years.

"I was consumed by the work, I became quite anxious - it took over my life."

Jake's story is not uncommon, and now the Department for Education is under fire from MPs for "failing to get a grip" on teacher retention in England.

In a report, the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) says the DfE does not have a coherent plan to tackle teacher retention and development.

The report says the number of qualified teachers leaving the profession - for reasons other than retirement - increased from 6% (25,260) of the qualified workforce in 2011 to 8% (34,910) in 2016.

It says the issue is particularly critical in England's secondary schools, with the number of teachers falling by 10,800 (5%) between 2010 and 2016, from 219,000 to 208,200.

midnight_angel, Compassman and haharr like this.
  2. drek

drek Star commenter

I'm leaving because there are too many trainees and unqualified. Not enough experienced left to share the workload fairly.
    It's emotionally and physically draining to work alongside people who probably rightly feel they are not getting enough support or 'doing the same' as qualified colleagues for far less money.
    Since the abolishment of pay rises with experience and promotions now more or less based on how loudly one can push one's own opinions at staff gatherings.....
    It's all become too draining to deal with alongside waiting to be told one has been replaced by outstanding cheaper staff.......
    In the meantime the challenging students are ruling the workplace.....
    I don't want to wait to be told I'm not gdpr compliant hence not good enough to teach....by the cleaner who has just got promoted to SLT for being the best person to catch student exercise books in the recycling bin with their names on........Not yet happened.....but you bet such absurdities are on the horizon.
    What a nutty system!

3. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

The expectation that we will give our whole lives to a job is why I want to get out too. Why should it be I am expected to take work home with me and give up my own time? Drives me mad.

4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I quit completely last year because of the increasingly poor behaviour of three or four pupils in most classes and a lack of effective behaviour policies to deal with this being driven by an ineffective SLT. The workload was also a real problem. I frequently taught in schools on supply contracts for my last few years where I saw over 300 students every week. That is 300 lots of marking every week, 300 book scrutinies, plus frequent reports, meetings and parental contact. 300 lots of data input, 300 faces where you struggle to remember names and certainly don’t have time to really get to know students, to really help those who need it. You are constantly running around to stand still. And when you have this number of students, dealing with the poorly behaved ones is impossible. You just don’t have the time or energy and students know this. One instant thing all schools should do is ban phones completely.

5. cillia

cillia New commenter

Yes bad behaviour and the lack of control SLT's are putting in seems to be a rising reason why teachers are quitting. The report above is an enquiry into why but doesn't go on to say what the solutions are really. Most teachers know what the problems are but are so poorly placed to do anything. If you put your head above the parapet then SLT's will get shot of you as a dissenting voice. Their idea of dealing with it is 'Not to deal with it' - They let you deal with it if you can.

6. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Sounds familiar.

Current levels of poor behaviour are shocking. As if we don't have enough to do. I have certainly had enough.

7. haharr

haharr New commenter

The best thing that can happen is that enough teachers quit to force a real response. The truth of the matter is that school is not set up to be a creche for fantasy world inclusion, and it isn't a theatre of dreams, or a grade factory. It's a place of academic learning, real individual thought and effort, which is boring and difficult, and involves a degree of failure. The curriculum and exam system at present is irrelevant to the aspirations for a majority of students, as it is set up to deliver academic education for "aspiring" individuals - it is in place to filter out the "unable" who won't access "professional" jobs. If schools confronted this truth and were allowed to let students out who had no interest, or exclude those who were acting detrimentally to the learning of others, there would be a response. Society would have to confront these truths. Education would have to change. Mass education would have to be more genuinely inclusive or different ways would have to be found to deal with the large disaffected majority (options: security state, apprenticeships, workhouses, home schooling, home detention). At present we are just deluding ourselves that the status quo is a genuine reflection of the wishes of the majority of the population. Well, make school optional, open the gates, set minimum attainment and behaviour standards (zero disruption of teaching) for all and we'll see who turns back up on monday....

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I left because of a weak SLT who didn't tackle behaviour issues and because of bullying from the same SLT members. These things led to me having 6 months off on WRS and an SA. I wonder how many of the people who are leaving the profession are doing so against their wishes. My sense is that the tow things are closely related...
    At some stage, schools may have to close because there aren't enough staff. Do you think that will cause a ripple in the public consciousness?

9. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Weak and incompetent SLT who bully out the more expensive teachers.
    Ever increasing workload but stagnating pay.
    The right wing press who constantly teacher-bash and make us feel exploited and undervalued.
    Students and parents with no sense of personal responsibility and every sense of aggravation at every perceived 'slight'.
    Constant curriculum and exam changes that have to be planned, resourced and explored after your normal day's work. No extra time, training or pay.
    Constant feelings of being undersupported with behaviour, money, resources, too many varied SEND needs and not enough training, expertise or TA time to actually support properly.
    Ofsted.
    Endless and unending pressure every hour of every day but especially with exam classes whether it's Year 6 or Year 13.
    Too much testing, not enough actual teaching and learning.
    Going into teaching to make a difference to children's lives and then realising you're not making a difference because you're so squeezed by the accountability system that you as teacher are solely responsible for that child's progress regardless of their own ability, work ethic, family support, physical or mental health, the other teachers the child has had, the date they moved to the school...

Yup, no clue why there's a problem.

10. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Progress verses attainment targets is the one that drives me nuts.

11. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Absolutely. So much time is spent on assessment - what could be achieved in that time! Some assessment is valid, but in certain schools I think we are experiencing death by assessment at the moment.

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

The reoccurring themes in that report was top down practice from DfE and SLT.

I’d suggest something simple like limiting the proportion of a school’s income that can be spent on some things. E.g. SLT, TLR, MAT top slice. It’s not qualified teachers you get problems from, it’s the layers above.

And remove decision making from DFE. That needs to be limited as well.

13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I read some of the suggested solutions. I like the comment on “trimmed down” teaching, ie give new teachers yrs 7-9 only for 2 years and then the full range. LOL, if there was ever anything that would have driven me out of teaching 30 years ago it would have been that!! It’s KS4 and 5 that kept me sane (ish).
    I do like the no pastoral role bit though, but this was the case in the 1980s for most of the many probationers at my first school.

14. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

For me (hanging in there at the moment, but need to change school next year as a minimum) it would be:

1) Workload - every evening except Friday and half of the weekend is wholly taken up by lesson planning and marking. Even basic things like going to the dentists are put on hold because the blinkers are down and I can't even begin to think about things other than work.

2) Incompetent SLT who make everything harder than it needs to be (ie: I have now been given 3 different versions of the timetable for next year. Each time, I have to spend hours tweaking it to reduce the number split groups and put the right teachers on the right groups, This despite having already submitted to SLT a couple of months ago a list of which teachers needed to teach which KS4 groups!).

3) Behaviour which is allowed to escalate as parents are pandered to. If a parent doesn't accept a consequence, whether that's a detention or an isolation, the pupil often gets away with not doing it or with an alternative negotiated sanction. These pupils know the staff are not in control of the school.

15. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Yes I would say these are my big 3 too. I think 2 and 3 have the biggest impact on 1 actually. The workload would be manageable if 2 and 3 weren't a problem.

At the end of teaching 5 lessons a day where say 3 of my 5 lessons were mostly spent battling with utterly disruptive and defiant pupils I am then expected to sit down and mark 30 books which can take about 4-5 hours in my subject.

If I didn't use up so much energy on battling and trying to defend myself to managers and parents then I could easily get my planning and marking done well as I'd have energy, enthusiasm and motivation.

That's what people who don't teach will never understand. Yes, the working day is shorter than a 9-5 and yes we get good holidays but it's the mental exhaustion day in day out that means we can't actually do the job effectively a lot of the time.

Behaviour is the number one reason why I have deeply considered leaving the profession and nothing is ever done about it. Ofsted will grade behavioir as 'good' in many schools where day to day it's nothing short of a disgrace so what chance have we got?

gold19951 and agathamorse like this.
  16. Whiskas

Whiskas New commenter

I love my school, but the peripheral things are driving me away. We spend half of our time on social work, crunching numbers and glossing over things with statistics. Then there's the marking. Sadly our policy still involves fairly in depth marking of at least 60 books a day, in glorious technicolour. We also jump at most of the new fads. In the last 10 year I've seen Literacy and Numeracy hours, Read Write Inc, Maths Makes Sense, purpliferous learning, Learning Hats, Brain Gym and growth Mindset, all of which have involved throwing out some very practical babies with the suds. I'm old. I've been teaching a while. I'm allegedly Quite Good at it. ***, let me teach!

17. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

What about Kagan? Seven Learning Styles? There must be more you can throw in

gold19951 and agathamorse like this.