1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers joining in competative games with students !!??- comments please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by potatogirl, May 8, 2012.

1. At my son's school the parent helper who takes the sessions regularly joins in with their football games/matches if they have odd numbers ie to make the teams even. He is very enthusiastic ( read that as competative) and I worry that one of the kids will get hurt by accident. ( A Yr 6 child got a ball in the face last week full pelt)
    Just wondered what the guidance is on this. Is it ok? Is it legal? and what would happen if a child got hurt...
    Fairly sure I know what the answer is but wondered what you all thought.

2. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I agree with Markuss very iffy. I never would in a PE/games lesson, but do tend to on school trips, usually at the request of the staff there and the kids!

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I do to an extent. Never get 'fully' involved of course, but I will kick it about a bit in football and alway field in rounders/cricket etc.

4. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

I bowl in rounders and help with fielding, then if there's time left at the end I let them bowl to me so I can have a go! In football I'll give it a kick but never play properly with them, too worried I'd knock one of the kids over then have to explain to a parent!

5. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

Can't see why not to get involved. Seriously - people use H&S as an excuse to stop everything.
    I

6. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

"Is it illegal?"
    Do you really think it might be 'illegal' for an adult to play a game with a child?

7. I didnt ask if it was illegal but if it was legal in the sense of good practise and conduct for a teacher/adult. Its not legal to leave a child unsupervised in class but we still wouldnt do it.
    Obviously catching a ball in a game or rounders is very different to playing competatively in an opposite team. I personally feel there is big issues in particular with this adult in that he will by accdent hurt a child before long. I hoped that there were guidlines which we could refer to ie tell him its not alowed as the gentle comments have gone unheaded.
    Thanks for all you comments everyone, very helpful.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Then you need to express your concerns to your HT and leave them to deal with it as they see fit.
    Unless you are the HT, this isn't your role.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Have you thought about getting this person to undertake a level one football coaching course that all the county football associations in England and Wales offer. This will include a section on 'Age Appropriate' training and behaviour as well as first aid and child protection. The courses cost around £85.00.
    Perhaps the advice coming as part of a formal group session, from 'football people' might be more easily accepted?