1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers in the UK don't know how good they've got it

Discussion in 'Education news' started by palmtree100, Jan 14, 2016.

1. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

wanet and Middlemarch like this.
  2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

palmtree100, petenewton and wanet like this.
  3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

She literally doesn't have a clue.

wanet likes this.
  4. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

This article doesn't do overseas teachers any favours. I assure you I KNOW how good I have it NOT being in the UK. That is exactly why I am not in the UK.
    Not to say I don't also work hard and excessively long hours - but at a guess 90% of my work I enjoy.

The school as a business is something you have to adapt to (I am pretty certain, please correct me if I am wrong) that many schools in the UK are now also run as businesses, although it may not be as blatant as in some poorly run overseas schools.

I have heard horror stories regarding some poorly run overseas schools, but if they are paying you and the children are safe, it is still surely going to be better than some of the shenanigans going on back home.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I think the author really works in the UK!

palmtree100 and chelsea2 like this.
  6. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Teaching is just a job (especially if money changes hands) - there are lots of places in the world you could teach.

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

This is just a piece of propaganda being put out there to try and stop the flood of teachers going overseas.
    For sure there are some shocking schools on the international circuit. But you'll probably still have a much better work/life balance and more disposable income than if you stayed at home.

wanet and rouxx like this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You'd hope that anyone going from the UK to work in Saudi Arabia (or anywhere abroad) would do a bit of research about schools there first!

Do we actually believe this is written by a teacher?

wanet likes this.
  9. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Wow! I am gobsmacked. Concerned about the business approach in a fee paying middle eastern international school. Who'd a thunk it?

wanet and Middlemarch like this.
  10. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I don't understand the purpose of the article. He/She leave a job he/she loves for a new adventure in a foreign country with an horrendous human rights record and dismal inequality, and is disappointed that his/her role is not what he/she was used to in the UK.

What were they expecting (or what did their gullible little head believe) and why does that mean teachers in the UK have no cause for complaints about our system.

What's equally as disappointing is that TES seem to think this is worth publishing.

FrankWolley and wanet like this.
  11. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

This article has got to be a joke right? If you replace certain words in the following quote it's actually talking about the UK system haha.

"As a teacher my voice has become insignificant: decisions are based on finance (league tables/ofsted) not on the learning needs of my class. Exams are a marketing tool where the steering of positive results could attract more customers (better ofsted grades). I am at the bottom of a hierarchical pyramid: at the top is the chief executive (headteacher), protecting his investment (job) while the managers below him play a balancing act where finance and marketing (league tables and ofsted) collide with the real purpose of educating children."

What a load of absolute tosh. I don't believe for a second this was written by a teacher.

12. palmtree100

The similarities are almost too funny to be true. Like Middlemarch, I was choking on my coffee as I read it. That's why I believe it can only have been written by a teacher, and perhaps even one who is more familiar with the UK system than they let on...

You have swapped finance and marketing for Ofsted and league tables. I think you underestimate the commercial side of our education system which is making some people very wealthy and successful indeed.

wanet likes this.
  13. palmtree100

Sorry forgot to mention I said this in response to Godmeister's post.

14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It is worrying so called professionals as this can still childishly say that because they have experienced one sole tough/awful regime outside of the UK, that everyone in the UK must therefore be thankful for a job that destroys the joy of teaching and makes us glorified secretaries.

wanet likes this.
  15. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Looking at so many of the postings on workplace dilemmas, it's destroying the joy of living, for many.