1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers in a special measures school

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by minorbiz, Jul 24, 2011.

1. I'm from industry and now in education and failing to understand a situation. In a school recently in special measures, mainly due to poor management for many years as per Ofsted report, its teachers are subjected to weekly inspections. There is just one person doing the inspections (a headteacher of another school) and failing nearly all teachers and, at only this persons say, are being put into capabilities. Is this normal for teaching? Should there be a safeguard of a second opinion? These teachers have consistantly been seen as good to outstanding prior to the last Ofsted inspection.

Your views and comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but have you spoken to your unions? It'simpossible to know whether everything's above board from what you've said. Certainly one would expect teachers at a school in a category to be observed much more frequently. You need the union to check that guidelines/rules/policies are being adhered to. There are clear procedures that your school must follow for capability.
    Speak to the union reps in your school. Perhaps ask them to call a joint meeting.

3. Thank you for your response, for me I'm an SBM in an outstanding school, but my wife and her collegues are now suffering at the hands of what appears to be a strategy of encouraging all the teachers of her school to leave. The method adopted would have had the entire workforce of any well respected large business go on strike until the process had been either stopped or modified to appropriate levels. In schools it would seem that this process the process of bullying people out of their job is acceptable, the union also appear to neither be proactive or reactive in this.
    We are seeing teachers who from the LA inspection during the last 6 months come out as outstanding, to be destroyed by an individual who will do anything to put them through capabilities without adequate time between inspections to receive appropriate training.
    I am just bewildered at this process and want some sort of understanding of is this what teachers can expect. Did note this subject had been aired soem 18 months ago.