1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers having school dinners

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ctinblue7, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hello,
    Just a question out of interest. How many of you teachers have school dinners - that is dinner the school provides from it's catering suppliers/school kitchen? If you do, do you pay the same rate as the children or get a discount? What about portion sizes? Do you get an adults portion size or a childs portion size? :)

2. I dont because they're disgusting! They dont use any salt or sugar at all which makes lots of the meals taste foul. Its often cold, and the ingredients are of such a low quality in the first place. I will eat ANYTHING and I still can't abide the school dinners - no wonder so few children have them.
    That said though, I think we pay the same price and receive an adults portion.

3. haha! Oh dear! Maybe thinking getting lunch from school in the future is not such a good idea [​IMG]

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Ours aren't too bad from what I've heard.
    I think staff pay the full price if they want to take it to the staffroom or classroom to eat or a reduced rate if they sit with the children in the dinner hall.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If we want a school dinner we pay the same as the children and receive the same size portion but on a plate not an airline tray thing

6. Hoping any school I end up getting a job in has this policy! Would suit me perfectly [​IMG]

7. I guess that's a sensible, no quibbles approach to it.

8. Im sure they are nice at some schools! Ours just have this "No sugar or salt" policy which ruins them...as for the puddings, they're the worst part! I used to love school puddings but without any sugar at all it just tastes doughy and savoury, bleurgh.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We've just changed supplier and ours are lovely-fresh fruit and vegetables, proper cooked food which actually tastes of something! Two members of staff have lunch every day with the children ( these are actually "free school meals for children who bring in packed lunches!) without paying-but no choice, you just get the "main" . If you want the vegetarian option ( or more than two members of staff want a meal!) you can order one but have to pay.

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I regularly eat school lunch and pay 65p more per meal than the children.This is the rate for adult meals. If staff run a lunchtime club they get a free meal. Although I always pay for my own if Im running a lunchtime club. I don't want to be accused of anything by the anti head brigade.

11. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

We pay the same as the kids but (apparently) get an adult sized portion, but no pudding. Suits me as I don't mind custard but can't bear it when it's been sitting around whilst you eat your main - bleugh!
    They're ok, but quite expensive (£2.50 I think) so I normally bring my own.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We pay more than the children but get an adult size portion. Staff can also have a filled baguette rather than the normal dinner. Also get free salad bar and a pudding.

Total lack of salt (bloody Jamie bloody Oliver!) does make the food rather off, but there are always pots of salt lying around in the staffroom for just this reason.

Don't often have school dinner myself, certainly would do a piggie like me as a main meal of the day, but the baguettes are brilliant!

13. At my old school the staff only started taking school dinners when our cook went off on sick leave. Having a stand-in that didn't view cooking as some kind of martial art whereby all atomic structure needed to be beaten out of any food falling victim to her tender hands mysteriously raised school dinner takeup by about 25%

14. Our school dinners are actually amazing! We pay more than the kids but we get atleast double the portion. Our cook is outstanding and lots of the staff wouldn't get through the day without her food! Most staff have a cooked lunch most days - just shows that there are some lovely school dinners out there!

15. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

I think we pay about £3.00 for a dinner and pudding, but we can help ourselves. We are given trays or dishes with the food in, and we just pile it on our plates! Very often, I have 2 slices of sponge for pudding and a mountain of custard! The food is quite nice, and we can also have a jacket potato and filling if we don't want a main meal for about £1.50

16. wow!
    So how many of those who do have school dinners choose to have theirs in the dinner hall? Or do you all head to the staffroom at every possibility? From the school I am volunteering at, I can't bear to eat in the staffroom as there are only coffee tables which are baisically far too low for me to eat off. I have to either eat off my knees, or balance everything on the edge of my chair. Wasn't very impressed really as this led to stomach problems for me. The teacher now lets me eat at her desk, which is better but then I'm stuck in the same room all day.
    What does everybody else do?

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ours aren't too bad once you add a little salt but it depends very much what's on offer. I do feel sorry for vegetarians and children whose religions mean they normally choose the veggie option - some of them are little better than pigswill. Staff pay more but get a larger portion.
    I don't eat in my classroom as the idea is a little depressing. I have to get out of there even if it's for only 10 minutes. Nothing on Earth would persuade me to eat with the children, so staffroom it is.

18. Only have a school meal when I can't be bothered to make sarnies the night before.
    Try to avoid it as often as possible because they are of poor quality and usually cold - if you don't pick it up by 12.05, it is left out on the side to go cold. I am never free by that time! They are slighty bigger than the children's version and on a plate. But even so....
    In my last school, you had to do at least one 20 minute supervision in the hall per week and you got all your lunches free of charge. And they were of good quality!

19. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Our meals are disgusting, transported over to us in a van from another school 5 miles away. So everything is steamed and lukewarm. We can have one of these meals if we like for £2.95 on a plate with pudding. These get eaten in the staffroom where we have proper tables and chairs. The ladies who set up the dinner tables and dish out the slop are bloody miserable too. I stay clear at dinner time and bring in crackers and cream cheese.

20. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Ours are about 40p more expensive (VAT) but only get the same size as the kids. On my duty day (all staff, including TAs have agreed to do a duty at lunch) we get a free lunch. I very rearly eat either, they are okay, but not conducive to my diet!