1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers' happiness in Ofsted inspections

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by notamuggle, Mar 9, 2016.

1. notamuggle

notamuggle New commenter

2. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

4. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

I'm of a similar mind, but I'm not sure 'happiness' is what we're looking for.

Many people are happy or unhappy in their work, but it's not really what OFSTED need to be looking at.

However, they certainly should be interested in safeguarding and health and safety, and that should include staff as well as students. The government has also insisted that teachers maintain a good work-life balance, but there's not a lot of chance for them to check if this happening; OFSTED would be a useful vehicle for this.

The government are worried about a teacher shortage (play it down as they might), but appear to have no extra cash to raise salaries. Having a less-stressed profession is something they'd like, as it'd help lessen the crisis 'on the cheap'.

OFSTED also monitor and report on management, and having an unnecessarily stressed workforce is surely poor management.

Here's an idea. It's one thing for OFSTED to say "We don't grade lessons, and we don't expect schools to. We don't expect a certain type of marking", as they have.

Perhaps they could say they will downgrade schools which insist on practices which cause excessive workload, as being poorly managed.

Reading some comments I've read from staff at other schools, it's clear that some schools are ignoring OFSTED's recent back-tracking advice. The management appear to be (understandably) concerned that OFSTED are saying one thing, but that it's best to be safe than sorry. If this approach results in an excessive workload, which would result in a poor OFSTED report, that would doubtless change.

I just think that, instead of reporting on 'teachers' happiness', they could report on unhealthy working practices, poorly managing stress levels, and exacerbating the teacher recruitment crisis, with a threat to downgrade schools at the next OFTED visit if schools don't comply by altering working practices.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes. But they won't.

Without action to stop excessive marking, workloads and data collection, nothing will change in any meaningful way.

hhhh likes this.
  6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Have you all sent the link to everyone you know. Not many signatures yet.

7. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

8. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

I was graded in an Ofsted inspection in January this year. I thought they weren't supposed to be giving grades but every teacher in the school had grades for individual lessons.

Surely Ofsted and the Govt need to sort themselves out so there is consistency. Guess what we'd be told if there wasn't consistency in our marking, whole school approach to x, etc.