1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers. Gym. Exercise.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sanz1981, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Do you go to the gym? How often? On average how long per session?

Just wondering, many teachers I have seen have barrels as stomachs, just wondering if this will be one's fate if I don't exercise. Also many P.E staff, in the schools I have worked at, are rather a contradiction to the subject they teach, and should follow suit with the children when they tell them to run around the field.

This is not an attack. So the PC need not to comment.

2. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Too much cake.

Sanz1981 likes this.
  3. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Alcohol perhaps.

Sanz1981 likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sorry you banned me from commenting.

Your disappointment in some PE teachers is interesting; I like the fact that you expect subject teachers to somehow look like the subject they are teaching.So Geography teachers ought to look worldly, maths teachers ought to always make sense, Music teachers should be twerking on break time duty?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    nomad likes this.
  5. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Most music teachers I had in school had to struggle out of their chairs. Like a tortoise on it's back.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I worked in secondary schools for over 30 years, and I have to say that the vast majority of PE teachers were pretty fit - and well capable of running round with the pupils if they had to (but their job wasn't to show off in that way, but to make sure all the pupils were doing what they should, and doing so safely!)

NB I wasn't a PE teacher.

emerald52, HelenREMfan and nomad like this.
  7. 576

576 Established commenter

I try to walk 10 miles a week.
    Don't always manage it.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Geography teachers should be continent (well, not incontinent), music teachers should conduct themselves well, biology teachers should be animated, physics teachers should be forceful, maths teachers should be in their Prime (a bit like Miss Jean Brodie), drama teachers should teach all [key] stages, the school leader should be ahead, etc., etc

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Hehe.
    Don't forget, also, languages teachers who burst into tears whenever anybody says "Brexit".

nomad likes this.
  10. zizzyballoon

And what about us Early Years teachers who remain forever young?

catbefriender, InkyP and nomad like this.
  11. zizzyballoon

Ha! I try to walk 3 miles a day and usually manage it.

12. Sanz1981

It's shame you consider music and twerking in the same sentence. Shame.

13. 576

576 Established commenter

Are you also Big in Japan?

14. zizzyballoon

I am big anywhere.;)

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

No I don't go to the gym - never have. If I want exercise I'll find it in the real world, doing a job that needs doing or exploring somewhere on foot or by bike. I would go stark staring crackers in a room full of sweaty lycra-clad people expending energy for its own sake whilst watching daytime TV. Sorry gym goers, but I'm basically anti-social, and each to their own :)

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I do, don't worry!

:(

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I don't go to the gym but I am a member of the local rowing club. I row at least twice a week in the summer. In the winter that drops to once a week but the club runs circuit training. I also have an exercise bike at home and do lots of walking.

Sanz1981 likes this.
  18. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I take no deliberate exercise whatsoever and wouldn't walk anywhere I could drive to instead.
    BMI 22.9.

19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I go to Zumba, Pilates, Yoga and Well Fit classes and I'm planning to go to a dance class too. It's not at all like going to the gym, the people are friendly on the whole and I do feel that it's made a difference.

emerald52 likes this.
  20. Sanz1981

Interesting. I think it depends on the type of gym and personnel. Some of us go for the weights rather than bike and TV- which is futile.