1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers grading parents

Discussion in 'Education news' started by vinnie24, Mar 11, 2016.

1. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

"The legislation, by state Rep. Gregory Holloway (D-Hazlehurst), would mandate a section be added to each child’s report card on which the parents are graded on their responsiveness to communication with teachers, the students’ completion of homework and readiness for tests, and the frequency of absences and tardiness,” said Fox News.

I can't see any problems with that - it might wake a few parents up and remind them of their responsibilities.

3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I've had to comment on this before when I have had pupils move to another International School.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Love to know hoe Mumsnet will respond to this idea! :D

cazzmusic1 and wanet like this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Someone comments / grades - so what ?

6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I think teachers quite often grade parents especially after a parents evening. In fact, the behaviour of the child is often reflected by the behaviour/attitude of the parent.

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

In my experience this is USUALLY the case.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think it is stupid and will destroy any hope of positive relationships with some families. Absence and homework usually goes on reports anyway so what is really different?

9. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

There are parents that email me for work for their child if the child is likely to be ill for a few days, they also turn up at parent-teacher interviews. If I ring home to tell them that the behaviour of their child is not good and could they support me by having a word, they respond positively. They appreciate and respect the work I do and recognise that I have the best interests of their child at heart and that it is their job, as well as mine to get the best out of that child.

Other parents (the minority thankfully) do none of those things. Indeed not only do they not send their child to school with the correct equipment. Their children have not had breakfast, do not have the correct uniform or even if the uniform is correct has not been washed for god knows how long. Don’t bother to ring such parents about behaviour either as you are likely to receive more of the verbal abuse that warranted the phone call in the first place.

In an age where it is acceptable to ‘Rate my Teacher’ I see no problem with grading parents, after all they play a major role when it comes to educating children.