1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers going to Qatar for the 1st time

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by truth_seeker12, Jul 31, 2018.

1. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I would like to open up questions for anyone who is moving to Qatar to teach this year. There is so much to learn as things don't work they do in the UK. The law changes almost every day and the processes change without any notice. So.... ask away and I am sure that there are many on this forum who can answer you.

Fyi, there are many WhatsApp groups for teachers in Qatar so try and get yourself in one of those to get immediate answers for any queries or support that you might need.

sulemanmiah likes this.
  2. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

Hi TS

I was wondering if you could recommend what documents to take with me? Even obvious things as I am sure I will overlook something!
    Thanks

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Bring every document you can. Qualifications, school swimming certificate everything. And get a hundred passport photos as soon as you arrive. You will need them when you go through the various visa-related activities. Any photographer shop will do them cheaply.

Expect to be asked for the same information many times. Keep a sense of humour. Do not fight the system. You will end up very frustrated. Lean on people who have been there for a while.

fullblownattack63 likes this.
  4. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

Would you suggest things like this....GCSE/A-Level certifcates? Uni/PGCE certs? (seems pointless as they have my attested documents?) P45? Payslips from last job? National insurance card? EHIC card?

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Uni and pgce slips. Not the rest.

fullblownattack63 likes this.
  6. Teaching_abroad

Teaching_abroad New commenter

I know this is an old post, but hope someone will reply. Does anyone have information on if it possible to leave a teaching job in Qatar before your contract is up? As in will it be difficult to leave the role / country if things don't work out?

7. moscowbore

8. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

hasn't the law yet changed away from the kafala system and nee for NOC's and Exit visa?

9. moscowbore

Nope.

10. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

11. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

I don't think you should speak about these things as you're clearly clueless about the reality.

12. moscowbore

And the reality is .....

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Newcomers to the delights of Doha may find this website of interest. If you dig around, you might even find one or two posts about schools in Qatar.
    www.qatarliving.com

14. truth_seeker12

Yes it is. It's easy to leave now with the new change in the law

15. truth_seeker12

16. moscowbore

I was unaware that the law had changed. Stunned actually. Fair cop.

17. vcorreiapinto

vcorreiapinto New commenter

You can now leave mid-contract and move to another school without needing a NOC (No objection certificates were scrapped in October 2018). However, some schools still do ask for one. If you do find that you want out of a school, then you can resign, but give them some notice and as long as they cancel your RP before exiting the country then you are free to return any time and take up employment elsewhere. If you do a runner and not cancel your RP then, If I'm not mistaken, you cannot return for up to 2 years. I resigned from one position back in February after 8 months and returned in April to take up a new position at another school. An expat who has a new work contract can come back even the next day if they so wish to, usually on a tourist visa.

18. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Is this really the case, vcorrieapinto? As I am someone who was refused a NOC by the school where I was working, I must say that I am surprised and more than a little bit sceptical. If NOCs really were scrapped, then how is it that some schools still ask for them? And how can you be absolutely sure that the school really has cancelled your RP before you leave? How about they tell you that they are going to cancel it, you get on the plane and then later you find that they "forgot"? Oh dear.

As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, it was a few years ago now that this smelly old hippo was in Doha. My friends and I had some rather nasty experiences with HR "ladies" when we were at one of Madam A***'s rotten apple schools, so I hope that you will understand why I find this change of heart on the part of the Qatari authorities so hard to believe. Fairness, freedom of choice and workers' rights: have we really got the right country here? You do mean "Qatar", don't you?

19. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

NOC are no longer a legal thing. Qatar does not require them, so one can get a new rp without one.
    However, some new employers will still want to confirm that incoming employees left their previous posts “properly”, let’s say, with appropriate notice and without undue drama. Quite a few countries/large cities operate on a similar gentleman’s agreement between international schools- they won’t poach, and they won’t take anyone who did the dirty at a neighboring school. Typically it’s the higher quality schools that work this way, cooperating with each other. Some consider such agreements a dirty business in itself, but they do exist nonetheless.

20. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Hence the beauty of WORD to write your OWN NOC if they won't give you one. Havn't a few teachers written their own NOC and reference?