1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers go on strike in UK

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by pennyrichardson, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I would go on strike in sympathy and support, but unfortunately, as we have already finished for this year, I will be on the beach.
    With them in spirit, though...

2. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Not all of us are striking.

3. Oooh, cruel and unfair.
    Wonder if there'll be a bit of supply going...

4. I won't be striking (wrong union) but as the rest of the school will be closed I can start clearing out my storeroom with an army of teaching assistants to aid me. This is a job that is long overdue and will probably take all day.

5. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I'd like to clean out my classroom. I have a feeling the head has a job planned for us - sorting resources. I will be pointing out that I'm not sorting resources for subjects where the subject leader is on strike as it will be against the strike rule of not covering a striking person. For this reason I don't think that schools can employ supply teachers. At least it is a day less to plan for.

6. I suppose I could do a bit of pro bono...

7. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Only seven today! Isn't a U2 a form that you have to fill out if you are claiming unemployment benefit?

8. No, that's a ballot form. And if you want to stay unemployed, you tick next to CON.
    I retract that - I don't do politics.
    As Biily Connolly said (when he was funny...) "Wanting to be a politician should automatically bar you from being one."