1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers give their views about Ofsted’s new inspections

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 25, 2019.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I have to take a wee issue with you here.

The NEA IS worthless.

I teach programming by getting students to write programs. It is impossible to teach programming without asking students to go code something. Why the need for the NEA when any project or series of projects given to the students by a competent teacher would do the job well?
    My particular problem is that schools, especially academies in England, are looking for any excuse to drop expensive subjects like computing from ks3.

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I was making the point that relaxing control and dropping the marks made the NEA more, not less, worthwhile, but I absolutely agree that a greater number of smaller tasks would be more beneficial, e.g. spending 20 hours on the OCR Coding Challenges instead.

I've never liked projects - it was the subject of an early "Subject Genius" article: No projects please, we're Computer Scientists.

3. moscowbore

Everything I teach is project-based. We should have a chat some time.

4. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

5. powerpointdave

powerpointdave New commenter

Been through 6 OFSTED inspections and yet to learn anything from them that the school didn’t already know.

cassandramark2 and bevdex like this.
  6. moscowbore

I have just read the "No projects please ...." article.
    My opinion is that he isnt doing it right.

A project gives a student a reason to learn something. They think about what they have learned and apply it to a new scenario. Thus strengthening those neural pathways. A simple project like writing a program to create times tables can encompass so many areas of the computing syllabus and other syllabi. I have known students go home and show their parents that they can write a program to create times tables.

In my opinion, project-based learning is the way to go.

7. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I agree - it's also a good task to explain some principles of computational thinking, i.e.
    1. the method is more important than the result (you could just "print" the table)
    2. you should generalise where possible (you might have been asked to display the two-times table, but could you display any table)
    etc.
    Maybe what we disagree on is what constitutes a "project" - I'm thinking of the sort of project like those in DT where they take a term to bake a cake because they have to draw it first, design the box, etc. There's a huge amount of inauthentic labour involved and baking a cake every week would make you a better baker.

8. moscowbore

I think we agree on most of this.
    I do not agree with the premise of the author of the article.