1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers- do you think organising an after school club will help me in applying for a job?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rapink, Mar 28, 2011.

1. rapink

rapink New commenter

Hi, I'm currently a T.A. doing a Primary PGCE in September. I'm also doing a Postgrad course in Autism in my spare time. I do two after school clubs presently to try and save for September. One of my clubs is about to finish as it was more of a course getting first aiders in etc. Another in ICT where I'm basically supervising them on the computer. I now have to choose between the two clubs as their moving to the same evening. I'd have to organise the one that's more of a course myself, getting speakers in such as police, St John's etc. As the person who currently does it may be leaving. A few times speakers haven't turned up. I don't organise the ICT club.
    Do you think this would be useful in applying for teaching jobs? I'm not sure whether to go for the easier life and do the ICT club as I have lots to do for my Autism course and reading for September but if it would help apply for a job I may do the other club. Thoughts anyone?

2. I would offer to run an ICT club but teach them how to do various things and use various programs. Then store all the evidence and offer this when applying for jobs. ICT is becoming increasingly important and one job I was considering applying for stated applicant must demonstrate strong skills in delivering ICT (and was part of the interview ).

3. rapink

rapink New commenter

Hi, thanks for your reply. The after school clubs, I should of mentioned, are with teenagers as although I work in the primary end of the school the after schoolclub vacancies were only avalible with the high school age students, this is at a special needs school.Unfortunately I doubt they'd want me to teach them anything as it's their free time and some of them havn't got computers at home so they enjoy looking at things on the internet.Hopefully I can do what you suggested when I do my teacher training.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Most of what will help you get a teaching job is how you get on next year on your course. Running clubs will be a bonus, but maybe run the easier one now and give yourself a chance of running a school one next year.