1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers could trigger counter-terror inquiries

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Feb 21, 2020.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

needabreak and nomad like this.
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I fail to see a problem here.

JL48 likes this.
  3. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

It's obvious that it's about surveillance. It was obvious from the moment the man from special branch told the teachers at our school 'it's not about surveillance'.

agathamorse, vimeswithav and JL48 like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It isn't.

Liberty have obviously run out of things to get all weepy about and are now trying to say that teachers could be unwittingly handing children to the police, not knowing the consequences of simply raising a query, reinforces concerns about how Prevent is eroding what should be trusted relationships.

99.9% of children in schools wouldn't raise any concerns at all.

Storm in a teacup!

agathamorse, needabreak and install like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

It's old news.

The Guardian ran a story on this way back in 2015:

'School heads raise alarm over new duty to protect students from extremism

Anti-terrorism laws requiring schools to monitor and shield pupils from radicalisation put at risk the debate that is at the heart of learning, say staff
    Rachel Williams
    Tue 9 Jun 2015 02.30 ..

.......Some teachers have told us ‘we’re scared of being accused of being Islamophobic’ … and when some Muslim and Islamist organisations are saying this is Islamophobia, or other teachers say this is spying on Muslim kids, you can see why some feel like that. Safeguarding children from extremism is not Islamophobic, but you’ve got to make sure the way you do it is appropriate. If people don’t understand the issue or don’t seek expert help, they will tend to make mistakes....

.....A government spokesperson says: “School staff should use their professional judgement in identifying children who might be at risk of radicalisation and act proportionately. Good schools already do this and there is guidance available.”

He adds: “This doesn’t and shouldn’t stop schools from discussing controversial issues – and will give pupils a safe space to develop the knowledge to challenge extremist beliefs and ideologies.”

But some headteachers worry that too much is being expected of them. “We’ve got to realise the balance between what schools can do and the influence of the home, family and social media". '

nomad likes this.
  6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Then maybe there should be a more deliberate route. Kids do get radicalised by unscrupulous adults. Who do you go to if you see this happening ?

7. install

install Star commenter

Your Safeguarding Lead.

All staff in schools should have done the Prevent Training. Have you not done any?

8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

then it should be - at least in part.
    yup.
    I didn't find it particularly convincing.

ajrowing likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

The aim of Prevent Training is not to 'convince' anyone. The point being - from the training- you should know who you report any concerns to even when you asked the following:

' Then maybe there should be a more deliberate route. Kids do get radicalised by unscrupulous adults. Who do you go to if you see this happening ? '

Have you reported your concerns as per the Training you said you have received?

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Sadly in my case it was shutting the stable door after the horse had bolted.

Prevent, while an improvement, is clearly inadequate.

11. install

install Star commenter

So - you have not reported it to anyone, yet ask who to report it to?

Confusing. :confused:

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

so I see

install likes this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Eureka

- Its because you are asking: 'Who do you go to if you see this happening ? ' Then you counter that, stating: 'Sadly in my case it was shutting the stable door after the horse had bolted.'

Not much to go on really.. :cool:

14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I didn't mean the safeguarding officer, who in my case was a rather ineffectual deputy head. I meant as a school who could you actually go to who would / could do something ? Who could start the process of de radicalising these young people ? The Police ? MI5 ? The odd assembly / PSHE lesson ain't going to cut it.

15. install

install Star commenter

I think you have misunderstood the Prevent Training. Radicalisation comes in many forms and guises. If you reporting it as an 'employee' you would go to the Safeguarding Officer. Of course if you doubt their ability you would go to the Headteacher too stating your concern.

In terms of PSHE, it isn't just an odd lesson in my experience.

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

No no. I fully understood it. That's why I thought it was insufficient.
    Believe me, I know.
    Yup. As I said, insufficient.

It's lovely that you think that you're achieving something.

17. install

install Star commenter

So tell us more about your Prevent Training seeing as you know? Its lovely you think we are easily fooled by your lack of detail or following through with your apparent concerns at your school.:rolleyes:

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Nothing to do with my present school. More to do with the overall commentary on the completely insufficient nature of Prevent. It's putting lipstick on a pig. It won't 'Prevent' anything.

19. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

Is it designed to prevent anything, or is it designed to be seeing to do something?

JL48 likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

I agree. More needs to be done by everyone. Yet, you yourself have admitted to doing nothing when you had a chance?