1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers completing CAF forms

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Putasokinit, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I am a reception teacher in quite a socially deprived school. The prospect of class teachers completing CAF forms is looming. They are currently being completed by our non-teaching Head of school, we also have an executive headteacher who oversees our school and the Junior school.

The form filling doesn't bother me but it is when I openly will have to write in front of the parents that i am not sure whether the child is at risk of harm or not. Some of my parents have some very dodgy social issues but I feel that it is more of a senior management role to make a judgement about them. I dont feel it is my job to be the baddy.

I would appreciate any help or experiences with this.

2. I am a reception teacher in quite a socially deprived school. The prospect of class teachers completing CAF forms is looming. They are currently being completed by our non-teaching Head of school, we also have an executive headteacher who oversees our school and the Junior school.

The form filling doesn't bother me but it is when I openly will have to write in front of the parents that i am not sure whether the child is at risk of harm or not. Some of my parents have some very dodgy social issues but I feel that it is more of a senior management role to make a judgement about them. I dont feel it is my job to be the baddy.

I would appreciate any help or experiences with this.

3. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I have never had to fill in a CAF form myself but have had to fill in other forms that inform the CAF. The main thing I keep in mind is that these are often shared with the parents. So do not write anything you would not / have not already said to the parent. For example I often have to write about children in dirty clothes, who look like they haven't had a wash in a month, but these are issues i have politely brought up with the parents before - so there is no shock. As to stating whether the child is at risk or not - no i don't think that is your job unless you have had specific training in child protection. i would fill in what you feel comfortable with and then pass the rest to the designated child proctection adult in your school.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Have you had the training?
    The lead professional completes the form with the family it is intended to be supportive and not for children who at risk of harm that would still come under CP/safeguarding