1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers Cannot be Routinely Required to Undertake Clerical Tasks.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by coldmetal, Jun 28, 2017.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If I ever put kids' work on the wall I always made sure it wasn't dated. That way it could be up there for a long time!

2. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Display is so subjective. I can find evidence both for and against its value as a learning aid.

As for its artistic merit? Well, that's another story.

I always seemed to work in places that demanded you change your room in its entirety every half-term. I went along with it when I was a novice but soon came to question the value thereof. And did not comply.

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Update: I raised my concerns about having to collate our reports... and guess what? Not one of my colleagues spoke up and joined in, leaving me looking like a right Moaning Myrtle while they all say there compliantly (is that even a word?)!

The response was, of course, that money is very tight and if we want TA support in our classes we have to take on some of these smaller administrative tasks because the office staff don't have the time... but maybe next year we can try something different....

So I've marked my card and got nowhere. Great.

5. grumpydogwoman

Sorry 'bout that.

That'd be about right though. A lot of teachers are spineless. They will moan and beech but that's all they'll do.

Signed
    GDW (NASUWT rep retired)

Compassman likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That's when you put two classes together and watch a DVD, while you put the reports together.

grumpydogwoman and Grandsire like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I spent about 3 and a half hours after school yesterday taking down all my battered displays and putting up some new stuff (and recycling a few bits too).

It looks really nice

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I used to love doing my own displays. I would finish a display and stand back and congratulate myself on how wonderful it looked. Then along would come my TA who would smile at my efforts and then would do it properly:rolleyes:.

On a slightly different note as I wrote this it got me thinking about all the lovely and super efficient and supportive TAs that I have worked with over the years.

9. grumpydogwoman

I never much minded any of it but I didn't work 60-hour weeks and I had a life.

These days it seems that there's just too much to do so something has to give. Nobody ought to be working the silly hours that most teachers seem to be putting in.

Measure the resentment. I was never resentful about the clerical stuff even if it was mundane but I would if I was snowed under with loads of other stuff like data entry and SATs moderation and loads of other krapp.

Landofla and Piranha like this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, that is the point. I never minded doing little extra bits if I could fit them in, but I never had to do silly hours either. I used to come in on results days if I was around, partly to help and partly to congratulate/commiserate/advise the students. I even came in for a day after Christmas to help move my department (not carrying stuff; just unpacking and putting things away) which had the plus of allowing me to grab one of the best seats in the new Maths workroom. I was willing to do these because nobody told me to and there was give and take, such as me being given time off to do piano exams. But being made to do lots of admin tasks is a completely different thing.

crazypineapple and peggylu like this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I remember helping to paint the classroom which was going to be our new library over the Ester holidays one year, along with the HT and another member of staff - because I wanted to, and had time to do so.

Also 3 of us went in one half-term to have an informal chat with the candidates being interviewed for a teaching post - because we wanted to.

And I did 3 after school clubs (as did other staff). And I regularly spent lunchtimes doing athletics practice before the district sports day. I had the time, and I enjoyed it.

Those were the days.:)
    Not now. :(

12. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

This is the point. Goodwill in many walks of life is a good thing and in teaching there has always been lots of it.

In the past teachers have gone over and above. You would often be thanked even get something like a box of sweets or biscuits as a way of saying thanks.

Now so much more is demanded to the extent that even the good will things are now expected. Hardly, surprising that people say enough is enough because they know they are being taken advantage of.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I would like to point out that nobody made me change my displays last night - it was something I wanted to do.

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I think they're just too exhausted to do the 'goodwill' any more. I certainly was by my last few years of full-time teaching.

15. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

Despite all the hours I put in I still put on a guitar workshop at the colleges and when it came to actually do them (lunchtime in the week) there was always some kind of clash or something happening where it made it really hard or awkward to go - I literally had to drop a meeting or just leave my desk mid email to go and do them. My HOD even used as a stick to beat me with, citing them as something against me in my performance "Spreading myself too thin"
    It seemed to be the only joyful teaching I did without extensive tracking and planning and all that nonsense that goes with being a teacher...

cazzmusic1 likes this.