1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers Cannot be Routinely Required to Undertake Clerical Tasks.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by coldmetal, Jun 28, 2017.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just don't do 'em.

What they gonna do about it?

You know that political movement in Poland? Nearly 40 years ago? Solidarnosc? Solidarity?

It's up to you. Be persuasive. Be an advocate. Be an activist.

2. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

How right you are - this is virtually what happened although I didn't realise at the time - I think this is what caused some of the friction between other colleagues.

peggylu likes this.
  3. teacher_new81

teacher_new81 New commenter

A lot of my colleagues do not .stand by the union guidance, even if successive governments try to "reduce workload" I feel teachers are in the bad habit of just not caring enough anymore to fight - like they are numbed by the constant political arena that schools are; the PM targets and evidences, the scrutinies, it all takes its toll on us all. So instead of just sending photocopying down, we automatically do it ourselves, not worth another fight, another target on our backs.

Started off as a naive optimistic teacher many years ago, politics, games and competition encouraged by SLT has made me somewhat bitter. What's the point of having a union collectively bargaining for us all, when we really follow the competition model that is the culture of the school. It all comes back to this.

Landofla and peggylu like this.
  4. coldmetal

This is fairly complicated to understand (81) ... It seems to me there are corporations (profit making corporations) who get a lot of funding by government but run schools and colleges very much like a private company. In a series of cost cutting over time, teachers and lecturers are now expected to not only organise and manage the administration that there used to be a layer of admin in to deliver but that due to government pressures to improve by creating fierce competition with ranks tables and scoring systems by ofsted means that progress checking and tracking and proof of attainment and improvement, then the subsequent checking by management of teachers performance, has led to a teaching profession where the emphasis is no longer on the the teaching but in the checking and management of teaching. At the same time it has diluted the vocation, spoiled the craft of teaching an caused masses amounts of work 60 hous plus sometimes including weekends and holidays. Union are so weak and often the teachers are so weak willed that this dysfunctional cycle continues while many leave the profession... I on the other hand coming from industry have stumbled into this and am really keen to do something about it.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It has always been the same.

My NASUWT colleague and I were the only ones to take action in about 1986. The NUT members just carried on as usual.

Very depressing. A lot of teachers don't regard it as a job. Paid work. The labourer worthy of his/her hire. It's a vocation, a calling. It's noble! How much greater is your nobility if you allow yourself to be put upon. You are suffering for your "art".

I never went along with that kind of thinking.

6. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

I've come into this late ... to all of you esp YOUNG teachers LISTEN TO THIS WOMAN for all our sakes !

7. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

You tell em !

8. coldmetal

What are they gonna do about it? se earlier:
    Your colleagues will probably do it. If you don't then you will likely be Performance Managed out the door.
    It has another name..bullying.

While I was at last post there was a kind of a revolt. A new system of reporting and tracking was brought in and several said it was unfeasible and unrealistic and took a stand. Along with them others agreed. The HOS said that they were engaging in 'Non Compliance' and message came down from the CEO that if they were not prepared to do it then others would be brought in from another site to do it. The 'Brown nose heroes' said they were already doing it, at which point everyone's bottle went and they got on with it.

peggylu likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Actually I disagree with some of this.

A neat and tidy classroom with attractive wall displays to make a good learning environment is a good thing, mine are a bit battered at the end of the school year but I will be devoting some time soon to make them look good again for september.

I actually enjoy doing this

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

There is a difference between being told to do a lot of admin tasks and deciding to make our classrooms look better. I also took some pride in getting my room looking good, and was happy to put in a bit of work to make it happen. I admit that a lot of this was done in the afternoon when the students went home early so we could prepare for open day (two birds with one stone) and the rest during gained time.

11. coldmetal

Some awarding bodies will refuse to moderate an academy if there is insufficient evidence of student work displayed and shown in classes and around the college. Having and putting student work up is a good thing and should be encouraged. However the teachers / lecturers should be more of a directorial or at least official help in the form of tech and classroom assistants should be afforded. I put my stuff up often as I couldn't trust anyone to do it properly based on previous experience but it used to take me hours.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I usually come in for a day early in the holidays so I can have a bit of peace and quiet

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

If I have no TA, no reprographic department, who is supposed to do my photocopying? Little fairies? I agree with the sentiment but the reality is different!

14. coldmetal

Doh... that's where they get you - doing it forf the love is unprofessional - like a nurse coming in to decorate the ward in her holiday or something - we have to en masse stop doing stuff for free!

15. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Oh dear !

Compassman likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Why not ?, not everyone hates their job

17. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Man up ... intelligently. It is possible to create a sustainable work model without being a jobsworth about it.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I do mine at the end of the holidays, just in case my room is deep cleaned over the summer. (I think that's happened about 3 times in 21 years, but I live in hope!)

19. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I think the point is that for years teachers have done a bit extra here and there. They've done some displays and a bit of photocopying but what's happened now is that it has become EXPECTED or demanded and if you refuse to do them you're performances managed out of the job.

There problem is that teachers have accepted this situation which makes it harder for those who wish to do there jobs according to the rules.

20. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Exactly ..years ago at my school some clever old so and so requested extra contact time with tutor groups ...OMG what a huge mistake. We are now asked to do a plethora of things ( teaching news items, following up disciplne issues outside of our subject, collecting money, organising charity fund raising events, giving up our tiny breaks of 25 mins. we EVEN HAD TO COOK for the little mites ! Carefully monitoring attendance and punctuality and inputting pupil data on a DAILY YES daily basis and I'm not talking registers. Yes I do it BECAUSE IT IS NOW WRITTEN IN OUR JOB SPECS because unlike myself and others at the time not enough people stood up to the changes. And yes I am fed up and really can't see myself staying much longer in teaching because of this . Incidentally I love teaching and I also have displays ..not brilliant ones. Although lots of the initiatives are well intended WE simply DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO MAKE THEM EFFECTIVE .. because guess what we are teachers with an already high teaching load !.. I want to teach not do admin. Yes I know its unavoidable but it is NOT right which is why we need to " activate". I 'm older and will soon leave but I want to instil what grumpgydogwoman rightly stands up for ... good working conditions for teachers ! Do not automatically accept the garb that is placed on your plate question it at all times ...unless it's a million dollars take it and run !

grumpydogwoman and Compassman like this.