1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers Cannot be Routinely Required to Undertake Clerical Tasks.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by coldmetal, Jun 28, 2017.

1. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

As someone who was (then) not more than 5 years experienced and some of this in prison environment I never knew about this LIST - and I was mad keen to make the position I had work but the harder I worked at it the more the organisation drove me. It made me the somewhat bitter person some have seen on here. I felt that I was right that the organisations were asking too much : making more and more checking and measuring in duplicate and triplicate and adding more and more tasks and I was arriving at 8:00am for a 9:00am start and staying often till 8:00pm developing and finishing up trying to fit everything in. At almost every point the hypocrisy of the organisation let me down with poor facilities and driving lecturers to chase down numbers and call students and their parents and make complex reports and come in for open evenings and tasters where nobody showed and come in for weekend open days where nobody showed and basically doing nearly everything on that list: If that list had of been Posted up in the staff room I would have stood up to it - it might have helped.

Landofla likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't think it would have helped you.
    Your problems were a lot to do with professional relations. Reducing admin tasks really wouldn't have made a difference.

On another note, teachers really should take a bit of notice of all the bits on their union website. There is no excuse for not knowing what you are and are not required to do. Then you can make a choice.

Compassman, wanet and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

Not entirely - there is something in what you say, but in the end I couldn't deal with both. I'd have had a seizure! or, done something crazy

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

In many schools this 'list' was put in place. There was a huge expansion in TAs, who (in primary, at least) had a wider remit than solely supporting named children - they supported the teacher, too, by taking on many of those things. The only things I did on that list, I did through choice.

Now, of course, there are far fewer TAs....

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  5. 576

576 Established commenter

Like Rottweiler I remember when the list was first introduced. I suspect those who weren't in the profession at the time may not realise.

peggylu and wanet like this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Your colleagues will probably do it. If you don't then you will likely be Performance Managed out the door.

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

It has another name..bullying

ilovesooty likes this.
  8. Compassman

So fewer TAs = Jobs not done

9. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Oooh, darn! I'm wondering what was said?
    Strange if you've been teaching in any of the last 10 years that you would only find out about this now??!

10. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Couple of things on the list I didn't mind doing:
    Collecting money for charity from pupils - done during tutor time so none of my time used up. Ditto collecting money for trips for me to take to the office.
    Also quite liked being able to buy things for the department - we were allocated a pretty generous budget and pretty much allowed to purchase what we wanted.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ah, the 25 tasks. I remember them well!

12. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

See post 16.

13. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Current budget constraints will mean fewer support staff to help with these tasks. It never really worked in smaller primary schools, anyway, even though we tried.

I disagree with Alldone about collecting money. Our staff send everything straight to the office. I remember a case, many years ago, when a senior member of staff was accused of taking some trip money which he said was stolen from his desk. Nothing could be proved and it's best to avoid any possibility of this going wrong.

14. Compassman

But just because there's no-one there to do it doesn't mean that the job needs to be done by someone else......for free.

15. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

But what else will happen?

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Plenty of it is pointless anyway. Displays are my pet hate. Who really gives a damn!?

Have some permanent displays up with important information and give the kids a space of their own to put up their own efforts if that's what they want. Otherwise? Nah.

Far too much effort expended on displays. And the waste of paper!

You say children learn from displays? I say they don't. I also say it is a very poor use of teacher-time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ssroom-displays-harm-childrens-education.html

17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

In terms of contracts, doesn't the list only apply to those under STPCD? Having worked in a school which was LA when I started, I had STPCD conditions all the way through my (not that long) teaching career, but I suspect that is not true for quite a few teachers. Were you under STPCD, @mikecom? I know little about colleges.

18. Compassman

Nothing. The tasks on the list don't get done. Simple as that.

If it needs doing then someone should be paid to do it (i.e. not a teacher)

peggylu and grumpydogwoman like this.
  19. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

The List of 25 is ages old and has been eroded by successive Education Secretaries and the demands of OFSTED until it is now virtually meaningless.
    Does anyone remember when Staff Appraisals were first introduced? 1990-something? My union only agreed to it because they were assured it would definitely not be linked to pay. But now it's morphed into Performance Management and your pay, reputation and future prospects are inextricably tied to it. Macchiavelli would have been proud of that kind of shenanigans!

20. Compassman

Now it's a bully's charter. Why? Because teachers have allowed it to happen

grumpydogwoman likes this.