1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers Cannot be Routinely Required to Undertake Clerical Tasks.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by coldmetal, Jun 28, 2017.

1. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

I found this online and felt I should share this for the reason that I was routinely asked to do most of the below list on a regular basis by the organisation I worked for - This led to me staying late most evenings sometimes till 8:00pm and also working many weekends and holidays.

Teachers cannot be routinely required to undertake any clerical tasks.
    (And not just those on the list of examples set out below)

·Investigating pupil or student absence.
    ·Bulk photocopying.
    ·Typing or word-processing versions of manuscript material - producing revisions of such versions.
    ·Word-processing, copying and distributing bulk communications to parents and pupils.
    ·Producing class lists on the basis of information provided by teachers.
    ·Keeping and filing records, including records based on data supplied by teachers.
    ·Preparing, setting up and taking down classroom displays.
    ·Producing analyses of attendance figures.
    ·Collecting money from pupils and parents.
    ·Producing analyses of examination results.
    ·Collating pupil reports.
    ·Administration of work experience but not selecting placements and supporting pupils by advice or visits.
    ·Administration of public and internal examinations.
    ·Administration of cover for absent teachers.
    ·Setting up and maintaining ICT equipment and software.
    ·Ordering supplies and equipment.
    ·Cataloguing, preparing, issuing and maintaining materials and equipment and stocktaking the same.
    ·Taking verbatim notes or producing formal minutes of meetings.
    ·Co-ordinating and or submitting bids, for funding, school status and the like, using contributions by teachers and others.
    ·Transferring manual data about pupils not covered by the above into computerised school management systems.
    ·Managing the data in school management systems.

NUT advice is that teachers should exercise their professional judgment in deciding whether a particular task requires their input.
    For example, it is up to individual teachers to decide whether putting up and maintaining displays is a task which
    involves their professional skills and judgment, or whether it is an administrative task that should be transferred to support staff.

The time saved by the transfer of administrative and clerical tasks should not be replaced by additional teaching time.
    In respect of the changes to the STPCD, the NUT advises members to limit workload by applying the Government’s ‘key questions approach’:

(a) Does the task need to be done at all?
    (b) Is the task of an administrative or clerical nature?
    (c) Does it call for the exercise of a teacher’s professional skills and judgement?

If the answers to (a) and (b) are ‘yes’, and the answer to (c) is ‘no’, then the task should be transferred from teachers.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

To whom ?

Pomz likes this.
  3. coldmetal

Teachers in England and Wales can no longer be asked routinely to do any administrative or clerical tasks.
    School & College support staff are now supposed to undertake the tasks removed from teachers' responsibilities.

The change is part of the agreement on reducing teachers' workloads being implemented over the next few years.
    It was signed by the government and most of the education unions.

Its main objection is that in reducing teachers' workloads, more is expected of classroom assistants - meaning, it argues, classes will be taken by people not qualified as teachers.

4. coldmetal

“Implementing and monitoring work-life balance

25. Work-life balance is about helping teachers combine work with their personal interests outside work. It can help to recruit and retain better motivated staff through giving them greater control of their working lives and a stronger sense of ownership. A school that is committed to work-life balance:
    (a) recognises that effective practices to promote work-life balance will benefit both teachers and pupils;
    (b) highlights the joint responsibility to discuss workable solutions and encourages a partnership between individual teachers and their line managers;
    (c) develops, monitors and evaluates appropriate policies and practical responses that meet the specific needs of the school, having regard to fairness and consistency; valuing teachers for their contribution to raising standards, not their working pattern;
    (d) communicates its commitment to work-life balance to its staff; and
    (e) demonstrates leadership and encourages senior managers to lead by example.

26. Employers have a duty to employees at common law and a legal duty under health and safety legislation, including the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and related legislation and the Working Time Regulations 1998.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think I agree with you on this one. Unfortunately, if you are not under STPCD there is nothing to stop it unless there are enough staff willing to take a stand. NUT advice is all very well, but it doesn't get us far unless there are enough people willing to do something about it. WIth education budgets being what they are, it is understandable that schools are not employing enough non-teaching staff to take on these admin jobs, but that does not make life easier for teachers.

6. coldmetal

True - The culture at my old place had one or two brown nose heroes who would, no matter how impossible or unfeasible it seemed, cheerfully deliver on a new series of reports or submit ahead of time on a new and additional request from management. With the whole of the rest of the staff groaning and creaking under the workload and stress. Thus, busting the resistance of the rest of the staff room. "... if he can do it..." They indeed used to help the HOD with their timetable and generally reduce his workload significantly; subsequently pretty much run the department by proxy. Unions were Weak... as one of the above was aUnion rep!

7. coldmetal

I do think though that if staff were to see these conditions written posted up, even if theyre not in a Union, may help them to join the ranks of those who may resist the onslaught of admin imposed by management without implementing or being prepared to use budget on support staff. However there are increasing amounts of higher management staff that are on 6 figure salaries so it seems there are funds for a plethora of 'assistant Principals for Quality & Professional Development' and Vice Principal - Finance and Resources - Various department Commercial Directors etc etc

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The specific list list of examples quoted by @mikecom was removed from STPCD a few years ago but the general requirement still applies if you are employed on STPCD conditions (but not necessarily otherwise).

A teacher should not be required routinely to participate in any administrative, clerical and organisational tasks which do not call for the exercise of a teacher’s professional skills and judgment, including those associated with the arrangements for preparing pupils for external examinations such as invigilation.

Have you only just come across it mikecom? The agreement took effect in September 2003! Implementation was completed more than 10 years ago, it isn't "being implemented over the next few years".

Subsequent governments have had several more goes at reducing teacher workload since then. None of them conspicuously successful.

emerald52, peggylu, chelsea2 and 3 others like this.
  9. coldmetal

I have only just come across it - I was stunned when I read it almost every item on the list counted in the regular workload of my previous position. However much I complained in the staff room about it causing 60 plus hours per week with weekends it was standing joke like : "...welcome to teaching..." the takeover at the college increased that and ultimately led to my going off sick (with stress) for a period and subsequent resignation.

10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

And therein lies the problem. Too many teachers willing to roll over and accept all the extra work which is why many are working in excess of a 60+ hour week and then leaving the profession.

If teachers just refused to do the tasks as in their contracts (and with union support) then either schools would need to employ more non-teaching staff or the jobs wouldn't get done.

At the moment far too many teachers are covering up the underfunding of schools by taking on the extra jobs of those who should be doing this work.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Hear, hear!

Mrsmumbles and crazypineapple like this.
  12. coldmetal

As Is said to previous: There are many higher management staff on 6 figure salaries, so it seems there are funds for a plethora of 'assistant Principals for Quality & Professional Development' and Vice Principal - Finance and Resources - Various department Commercial Directors etc etc (one of our vice principals was driving a Maserati on a 15 plate) - The money is there but what they spend it on is tantamount to corruption!

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I didn't do any of it.

NASUWT rep. That was me. I also stood up for all colleagues who declined to do it too. No problem.

14. coldmetal

I constantly petitioned my HOS to let me know the reports and documents outside marking etc that were needed just so that I could have some opportunity to plan them. It maybe be he knew this list of stuff include even annual documents so would never give me anything.... However every other week a round robin email would go out "...Please submit the C.A.R.S. report or whatever report on student attainment or work placement or something or other by Tuesday (some unfeasible date) and sure enough some brown nosing fool would put their hand up and say "...can i deliver it Monday? as I'm off campus tuesday..." to the groan of the rest of the staff room!

15. coldmetal

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

16. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

This is from the NUT's list of action short of strike action instructions

Members should refuse to undertake administrative and clerical tasks.

The full list of instructions can be found on page 10 here: https://www.teachers.org.uk/sites/default/files2014/workload-asos-12pp--10819--revised.pdf

This list is given on page 8 of the document, with the caveat that it is used for illustrative purposes. It is the list that previously appeared in the STPCD.

• Collecting money from pupils and parents • Investigating a pupil’s absence • Bulk photocopying • Typing or making word-processed versions of manuscript material and producing revisions of such versions • Word-processing, copying and distributing bulk communications, including standard letters, to parents and pupils • Producing class lists on the basis of information provided by teachers • Keeping and filing records, including records based on data supplied by teachers • Preparing, setting up and taking down classroom displays in accordance with decisions taken by teachers • Producing analyses of attendance figures • Producing analyses of examination results • Collating pupil reports • Administration of work experience (but not selecting placements and supporting pupils by advice or visits) 9 • Administration of public and internal examinations • Administration of cover for absent teachers • Ordering, setting up and maintaining ICT equipment/software • Ordering supplies and equipment • Cataloguing, preparing, issuing and maintaining materials and equipment and stocktaking the same • Taking verbatim notes or producing formal minutes of meetings • Coordinating and submitting bids (for funding, school status and the like) using contributions by teachers and others • Transferring manual data about pupils not covered by the above into computerised school management systems • Managing the data in school management systems

As has been previously stated, if members of the union don't act in concert and refuse to carry them out then there will always be the expectation that this is part of a teachers' job. Why not call a meeting and discuss this with your union.

Unnecessarily aggressive mike. Calm down.

17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

:eek::eek:

18. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Me too but you couldn't help thinking you were swimming against a tide of willing mugs willing to do it all without question especially when I was told 'your department is only as strong as its weakest link' when I complained about the excessive admin tasks.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I have no issue with putting up my displays .... lots of cats everywhere! However, as a pastoral tutor, I did check attendance (emailling home) and we take turns typing up departmental meeting notes. Oh, and I do collect money when we have charity days.

I've worked in offices and I much more prefer being a teacher. :eek: