1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers being targeted for dismissal or capibility

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by carrotsandcream, May 2, 2012.

1. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

I've only been teaching 12 years. Came into teaching late in life. When I started I was one of the first ones to be trained to teach the National Curriculum. I had a wonderful mentor. We worked together on the NC. I learnt a lot from her and she learnt a lot from me. Like you I'd never heard of capability until the the mishmash libdemcons and Michael Gove.

I went from being an outstanding teacher to barely satisfactory. I changed schools to escape unfairnes but jumped from the frying pan to the fire. I too have resigned but at 53 am going to find it hard to get another job in teaching. Could try previous profession but that too is going through changes. Too young to retire as have a mortgage and bills, too old to be your all hoop jumping, OFSTED loving, tick box loving teacher.
    Don't know what I will do in September, supply but I guess that will be just as bad I guess.

2. I too am sorry to read all these posts. I need to say I'm going through the same, UPS3 but in my case I'm in my early 40's with a young family. A challenge in itself but with the added pressure placed on me at work now and being a single mum it's scary.
    I'm wondering if it's time for a change....

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Get out as quickly as you can.

4. There are so many things disaffected teachers could and should do - and the most important is not to stay silent. Unions CAN be made to act if there is a groundswell driving a move for action: if you have been frustrated with non-action please do get in touch. NASUWT recently published a survey showing that at least 45,000 teachers had been or are being bullied. So they are aware there is a problem. However they only seem to have two tactics: C As and personal injury claims. To be fair to them, however, NASUWT and NUT both do support collective action by members. Don't elect to take no action! One thing you could all usefully do is to share your concerns on the headteachers' forum here: if enough heads get the message that the bullies in their ranks are driving out good teachers, then they might start to take notice and put their more wayward colleagues in order. Maybe.

5. It's important not to stay silent. Both NASUWT and NUT do seem to have only two tactics - CAs / Personal injury claims. However, they are mandated to support local members in formal disputes. Even though it's sometimes a huge ask, there are times when a collective action by teachers can be very effective. On another front, disaffected teachers should also consider posting their concerns on the headteachers' forum. Professionally-minded heads may well find some of the horror stories posted on here are difficult to accept. But if enough teachers share their concerns - especially those who feel driven out - the better heads may start thinking about putting some of their more wayward colleagues back in line.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I have taught since the early / mid 1990s and thought I had always taught the NC

7. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Sorry I meant the 1999 Framework for numberacy and Literacy. Remember the blue folders?. It was all revamped by the Labour Government. I dont remember seeing any NC framework pre 1999. I only know this because my then mentor always commented on how things were different pre 1999 Framework. So yes you are right there always was some sort of National curriculum.

8. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

one initiative just blends into another after a while!!