1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers being targeted for dismissal or capibility

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by carrotsandcream, May 2, 2012.

1. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

Yikes 168!?! [​IMG]

2. Yes, I can just see myself at 168 demonstrating a forward roll to KS1.
    I am one of the older, expensive group who is leaving because I do not like what I see happening to our profession. I refuse to end my career with a 'requires improvement' label.

3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Lucky you!

4. I just feel sad, I love teaching but worry about a young ambitious workforce who know mainly about data, targets and only see outstanding as good enough. I also feel for NQTs coming into the profession and not having time to really experiment and try out different teaching methods to see what works for them. I am sure that this is an over generalisation and not the case in many schools but it is what I have been observing in our area over the last few years.

5. Compassman

I don't think it is an over generalisation to be honest. It is certainly happening in my place and I know of plenty others. The one size fits all lesson, no room for manoeuvre from what is seen as the perfect lesson. It must be so boring for the kids as well as the staff that have to deliver lessons in that way. I have not a clue what a good lesson is now as the goal posts keep moving so much. It really is quite depressing. I envy anyone who can get out.

6. It is so sad. I see lessons rated outstanding and I think"No they are not!" They are just very good but I can do no more. I looked at the NQT forums and was shocked at the seeming number who feared failure! How did this start happening? A few years ago the NQT forums were all about how to improve environments and exciting ways to present a topic, now it seems miserable and stressful. I heard an inspirational talk the other day but our staff reaction to it was how do you prove their achievement?

7. Compassman

This is the new mantra. You MUST show progress at any point in a lesson. It is just not possible to do that at every point in every lesson. My only hope is that when the no notice inspections come that loads of schools fail not because they are bad but because of the ridiculous criteria and then perhaps there will be a realisation that there is something wrong. I think the unions should be doing something about the pressure that teachers are under due to impending Ofsteds but they seem obsessed with the Pensions issue whilst Ofsted are getting away with it.

8. It is an interesting question. My local union says that more experienced teachers who are on the UPS scale are likely to be targetted for CP, extra pressure, more work. I, myself was given an additional curriculum area totally two and not a second for doing any of the related portfolio work. I think, in addition, if such teachers are also from BME (black and minority ethnic) background, it will be even worse. I think the unions must fight this injustice. What will be the fate of the conservatives in 2015 I wonder?!

9. It's happening everywhere, especially as 31st May approaches. Teachers who have been good or better are suddenly becoming unsatisfactory. Have a good old dig at the older (more expensive) teachers, assume they'll buckle and retire early. 68? It might as well be 168. There are fewer classroom teachers than ever who can keep going until 60, while older heads either are offered nice little roles at County level or a comfortable early retirement package. Apart from which, a head retiring a bit early will be comfortably off, compared even with a UPS3 teacher.
    Older teachers rock the boat and are expensive. Most of those whose retirement age will be 68 will be nowhere near getting full pensions = much cheaper. It is wicked, unforgivable and a disgrace. The results will be devastating in the long run, by which time another set of managers and a different government will be blamed.

10. Compassman

Good post. [​IMG]

11. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

This is all very scary stuff. I am also concerned about the new appraisal and capability procedures which will kick in September 2012. It is proposed that a teacher can be dismissed within 3 months (proper bullys charter). OK I might say I am a good teacher and I have nothing to worry about, however, what if my head really hates me, I am over 50, I am on UPS2 or UPS3. Does it mean if I was to be one of the unlucky ones to go on the new capability procedures, not would I lose my right to ever teach again as the informal stage will have been removed and I would be put straight on the formal stage. Does it mean it would be mentioned on any references. Would I be able to do supply teaching? Ofcourse I am concerned. This government are destroying the livelyhood of many teachers. What are the unions going to do about it?
    I am leaving at the end of July, paid until 31st August If I hadn't resigned I would have surely gone down the capability route for reasons mentioned on this thread. Is is worth me even applying for permanent jobs.

12. Compassman

Indeed, what are the unions doing about it?
    If a Head wants to get rid of you then using the new rules they will find a way. So if you are at the latter stages of your career, on UPS3 and maybe a TLR then some heads will make attempts to 'get rid'
    Maybe:
    You aren't contributing as much as some younger staff ( new Standards)
    Your observations start going down to inadequate
    One set of exam results seem a little low
    etc.
    You get the picture.
    The unions are too busy dealing with pensions (important as they are) but forgetting about stress from Ofsted, capability procedures etc. They need to stop faffing about and make this an issue.
    The NASUWT have been banging on about Bahrain teachers and their rights. To be honest most NASUWT couldn't give a toss about Bahrain teachers (might sound cruel but true) and are more concerned about matters more close to home.......

13. henny_penny

henny_penny New commenter

I'm with you palestpink. I'm 50, UPS1 (came late to the profession) and currently 'Good' (sometimes with 'outstanding features'). I'm leaving at the end of term - can't stand the way things are going and I know that I can't and won't change my teaching any more to jump through all the hoops which are getting smaller and higher.
    To pot with the lot of it.

14. Exactly Henny - it is getting ridiculous! [​IMG]

15. Compassman

And there will be more. At my own school about 15 are leaving at the end of term. Many are going as they are around 55 and can get out and get their pension. Many of them are intending to do something less stressful. At the moment I cannot afford to get out but have about 6 years to go before I can retire. I am actively looking for other jobs out of the profession (difficult in the present economic climate).

16. I am 53 UPS3 and always been good but see the writing on the wall. I do not know what I will do but it is not the paperwork which has become teaching.
    I have seen so much excellence in education and much of it has come from Heads knowing their schools and communities well and tailoring the ethos and curriculum to fit their needs. Now we all seem to be cloned with the main vision being outstanding this or that. A young NQT I know whose class have made outstanding progress (unbelievably not good enough) says that if this is what teaching is about she does not want to know. We will lose great talent and experience if this climate continues.

17. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Totally agree with you. Good luck in what ever you do. Some of us are told we are not as good as we think we are. I for one cant afford to blot my teaching career so am leaving at least I will be able to do some supply hopefully. Even that is being threatened as schools are using unqualified staff and HLTAs.

18. Isn't this a sad indictment of where some of us are going and what we are constantly reading about on this forum. A teacher 50 and above, probably on a UPS, always having excellent or good lesson obs. Then literally overnight, another less obs showing an unsatisfactory and then the process starts for informal capability procedures. what a joke.
    This little teaser cuold easily be given as a maths question - what is the common denominator(s) here? School gone over to academy as well. Time to move on!!!!!!

19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Thank you.

20. I am so sorry to hear all these stories. I remember when I trained in the dark ages a lecturer saying that lessons could not be exciting all the time and that children needed to learn how to cope with routine. Can you imagine being allowed to 'deliver' a less than inspirational lesson now?
    Even in the last 10 yrs when working on a project with uni lecturers they were saying the best teachers to work with were the hard working 'average' ones who were always keen to listen and improve practice. This is not meant to be patronising I just think we older teachers saw the profession as a long term career where we took time to learn and practise skills . Look at the number of students/NQTs who are distraught if labelled satisfactory and not 'very good' straight away.
    I have resigned and although sad am so relieved to be free of the pressure.