1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers being bullied by students

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by drochester, Jan 25, 2012.

1. drochester

drochester New commenter

<font face="Consolas">Hi, can anyone give me some advice? I am being constantly intimidated by a Year 11 boy. He does it now when there's only him & I around because I've told the school that I don't want him near me, talking to me or touching me; he has pushed himself up against me (chest to chest) & slammed his shoulder into me. Unfortunately he hasn't stopped & I find it very threatening (he also adopts these tactics with other members of staff). Needless to say he has an atrocious reputation! </font> <font size="3">Is there anything I can do or do I simply have to let it continue; the school has proved to be useless in stopping it?</font> <font size="3">Thank you</font><font face="Consolas">David Rochester</font>

2. drochester

drochester New commenter

<font face="Consolas">Hi, can anyone give me some advice? I am being constantly intimidated by a Year 11 boy. He does it now when there's only him & I around because I've told the school that I don't want him near me, talking to me or touching me; he has pushed himself up against me (chest to chest) & slammed his shoulder into me. Unfortunately he hasn't stopped & I find it very threatening (he also adopts these tactics with other members of staff). Needless to say he has an atrocious reputation! </font> <font size="3">Is there anything I can do or do I simply have to let it continue; the school has proved to be useless in stopping it?</font> <font size="3">Thank you</font><font face="Consolas">David Rochester</font>

3. David, when you say 'the school' has been useless in stopping it', what has actually been done? Could you and his other victims simply refuse to teach him? How often do you find yourself in situations when there is only you and this boy around - does he seek you out?
    I certainly don't think you should allow it to continue, but from the sounds of things you are going to have to be very firm with the SLT and present a concerted face with colleagues who are also recieving this treatment from him. This boy sounds like a nasty piece of work, and if one of my pupils treated me in that fashion I would refuse to teach them. However, I also would not show this over-grown child that I was intimidated by him (easier said than done, I know). if he walks into your space, take a step TOWARDS him, not away from him. If he slams his shoulder into you 'accidentally', put him into school sanctions for disrespectful behaviour (detention, on report, etc). Keep a private log of all his unaccetpable behaviour, you may need it in case this doesn't end, and becomes a more serious issue.

4. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Is there no end to the stupidity of posters/ teachers on here.
    Why do you think the poster posted ?
    What else has to happen before the issue "becomes" serious?? A fist in the gob ?
    Advice for the OP from me ?
    Little if any.
    You describe a very common phenomenon in English secondary education.
    "Everyone" knows what is gong on but "nobody" wants to admit/ confront/ resolve the problem; neither SMT nor staff collectively.
    Your options ? Very few IMO.
    i) Get out of the school
    ii) If the next school is no better, as it most probably won't be, get out of teaching.
    Bleak and thankless advice ? Absolutely. I claim to take no pleasure in saying it.
    Good advice ? You bet !

5. BigFrankEM

Cf:
    ....and then as yourself the question "Who better understands the dilemna of and the unrelenting pressure to which the OP is being subjected?"
    Anyone for muppets ?

6. BigFrankEM

...and then asK yourself....
    Apologies

7. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I find this shocking! I was being harrassed by a male student who kept making sexual comments towards me and kept touching me. I brought this up the head teacher and she was very supportive, they contacted his parents and he was removed from my classes. The situation was monitored closely since.
    Your school reminds me of my final PGCE placement school, they always sided with students over teachers no matter what they did and it was like the students ran the school.

8. Provide hard evidence that cannot be ignored.

Arrange a meeting on the premise that you want to discuss the situation with him and record the whole thing on video camera without him knowing. You will either have evidence of him verbally admitting what he has done or he may give you another shove especially for the camera. Show the footage to your head and keep a copy for your union. Ask SMT when they will be removing him from your class and whether this will happen before or after you contact your union.

In the meantime apply for jobs elsewhere. Staying in a school where the management is so shocking is dangerous for your health - as has already been demonstrated.

9. ILoveTeaching

ILoveTeaching New commenter

As I found out by spending 5 years at a school that allows things like this, there is only one solution:
    1) Move to a good school where SMT do not allow pupils to do this and where all staff follow the school behaviour system.
    I moved schools in Sept and love my new school. It is a different world! If you can, move to a better school ASAP.

10. quote user="Georgia99: Your school reminds me of my final PGCE placement school, they always sided with students over teachers no matter what they did and it was like the students ran the school.

Too many schools are like this, but too many people are in denial about it... like some posters on here, & even some so-called advisers (not Tom Bennett; he never fails to acknowledge the teacher's side) .

11. If Holy Trinity means anything to you, I suggest that you get this thread pulled now and change your username.

12. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

If you were out shopping / at a football match / in a pub and you were harrassed in this way you would report it to the police.
    If you were a nurse / doctor / dentist etc and you were harrassed in this way would it not be dealt with by the police?
    Why should a teacher put up with it.

We have a full time police officer at our school and I would report the incident to them.
    If we didn't I would still report it to the police