1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers are highly stressed and anxious, according to an Ofsted survey

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘New Ofsted research has found that teachers are highly stressed and anxious.

Those working in primary schools are more stressed than those working in secondary schools, according to the watchdog.

The findings were outlined by Daniel Muijs, the inspectorate’s head of research, at today’s ResearchED national conference in London.

He described the initial findings of the survey as “a little bit not so great”.

He said: “Over half of our teachers record low to medium wellbeing. Relatively high levels of stress and anxiety as well, compared to other professions.’

But despite these worrying findings, three-quarters of teachers are satisfied by their jobs.

What are your views about the new research findings?

https://www.tes.com/news/ofsted-teachers-are-anxious-and-highly-stressed

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My expected outcome from them discovering that would be ".... so they patted themselves on the back awarded themselves a payrise". For two decades they've been deliberately conducting inspections in a way that is highly stressful to teachers and that leads to school managements being stressed themselves and passing that stress down to the teaching practitioners.

What did they expect to find?

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

In the immortal words of Michael Wilshaw, previous head of Ofsted, “If anyone tells you that morale is at an all-time low, you know you’re doing something right...” (or words to that effect).

This is Ofsted’s doing. It’s no different to Chris Woodhead’s search for (how many was it?) 15,000 failing teachers. It’s how they see us - we’re the Blob - we need to be intimidated and stressed and observed to make sure we do our job properly, because left to our own devices, we’d just slack or neglect our duties. Gove only continued the lack of respect and pressure.

Congratulations, boys - you did it. You broke the profession. Now all you have to do is work out how to educate all the children without us, because there simply aren’t the high-quality graduates choosing to enter the profession that you need.

4. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Ofsted report? Really? Better late than........

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I think it's a little bit not so great that such folk are allowed to judge English lessons. Still...I think it's appalling that a woman who wrote a report using the word 'formerly' when she ought to have written 'formally' is allowed to judge English lessons.
    I might as well go to observe operations in the NHS. I've stayed in hospital, so I'm qualified to tell a surgeon whether s/he's making a good job of removing an appendix, no?

6. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

It's fine, they'll send their kids to private schools.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

This is terrible use of English and an understatement that is professionally inappropriate. There is not a hint of contrition in this statement or any suggestion that the organisation may need to change the way they work.
    "A little bit not so great" is so far from the point of systematically applying destructive pressure to public sector workers that the man is probably showing that he is not in the right job.
    It is not at all "not so great", it is actually a shiocking scandal and reflected in the numbers of teachers leaving therir jobs, suffering mental health difficulties and sometimes commiting suicide.
    I'm cross now.

agathamorse, Jamvic, yodaami2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Yes indeed.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Stockholm syndrome ...

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Bears, woods ....

11. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

A little bit not so great :p

And that quote from Sir Mike should not be forgotten.

12. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Let's see now. You get regular abuse from the kids, and are not allowed to employ any sanction that might be remotely effective. Then, when the kids let up SLT take up the gauntlet, and with a vengeance if you are higher up the pay scale, so they can replace you with someone cheaper. What's to stress about?

agathamorse, Jamvic, tonymars and 3 others like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Mmm...Ofsted cause much stress and blame according to some. They seem to blow with the wind alot lately. Time for Ofsted to go.

14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Totally agree. The Tory Twunts have now achieved what they dreamt of doing to the NHS and will probably achieve when full privatisation hits us by around 2025. The state of Schools in the UK is unstable, demoralised and underperforming. Use these adjectives for kids and staff! It can only get better if the entrenched ageism is removed and better pay is implemented. Never gonna happen. The teachers who have smelt the coffee and are getting out will at least have something pension, time to retrain in something, emigrate to teach abroad or rebrand as online tutors. Those good and experienced teachers who make it onlinewill do pretty well financially until The Edidroid Revolution completes and the small online learning providers get swallowed up by bigger firms. It’s a case of get in quick, make the cash and get out. Father somilar in mindset to that of Dwanners, but they started the privatised education culture. It’ll be teachers who finish it though.

15. Mrsmumbles

Catholic popes

Sherlock’s got it right again

Gove still ugly

MAT cats still fat

agathamorse, Jamvic and tonymars like this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

I don’t think they are that satisfied, frankly! Crazy statements!

17. Mrsmumbles

Won’t get much better service there!

18. Mrsmumbles

I wish HE was!

19. Mrsmumbles

I think OFSTED are so out of touch with the values schools and staff they are meant to support, they make Trump look like Mr Congeniality.

ajrowing and Jamvic like this.
  20. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

The research seems to suggest that reducing class sizes has little impact - I seem to recall that an impact of 0.21 means less progress than students would make if you left them alone in the room and didn't teach them anything:

Hattie's Effect Size List