1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers and Twitter....

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gspo13, Mar 11, 2012.

1. The debate of the Facebook/Twitter saga seems to be a continuous cycle of grey areas when it comes to safeguarding. In a recent safeguarding CPD session, the question of social networking was brought up and not clearly answered. Personally, I don't use Facebook too much due to the 'high exposure' it displays of your life. Granted, you only expose what you chose to 'post on your wall', but Twitter is a little different....right?

This gets me closer to my point...

I have a Twitter account and generally use it for as part of my social sporting lifestyle, such as arranging cycling rides with team/club riders. Twitter is open to the public so anyone could 'follow' me. However, this means that students can also 'follow' me, and I'm unaware of any way to prevent this. The college I work for also have a Twitter, and so I follow them and they follow me, which means they can view my communications.

So, the other evening I am notified that a student of mine is following me on Twitter. Moments later I have a 'mention' from the student asking me for guidance on an essay. With safeguarding going bonkers, and being in slight fear of responding, would it really be a bad thing to aid a student, or even a group of students over Twitter...if of course used responsibly. In doing so, would this not extend the student/teacher relationship a bit too far?

I can only presume it would be down to the individual teacher. I mean, who wants to start helping students outside teaching hours. Plus, if the college have a Twitter account, would the teacher be safer in having such communications.

I see it as an open door to moving with the times, but want to know if its a door worth walking through

Please advise.

2. The debate of the Facebook/Twitter saga seems to be a continuous cycle of grey areas when it comes to safeguarding. In a recent safeguarding CPD session, the question of social networking was brought up and not clearly answered. Personally, I don't use Facebook too much due to the 'high exposure' it displays of your life. Granted, you only expose what you chose to 'post on your wall', but Twitter is a little different....right?

This gets me closer to my point...

I have a Twitter account and generally use it for as part of my social sporting lifestyle, such as arranging cycling rides with team/club riders. Twitter is open to the public so anyone could 'follow' me. However, this means that students can also 'follow' me, and I'm unaware of any way to prevent this. The college I work for also have a Twitter, and so I follow them and they follow me, which means they can view my communications.

So, the other evening I am notified that a student of mine is following me on Twitter. Moments later I have a 'mention' from the student asking me for guidance on an essay. With safeguarding going bonkers, and being in slight fear of responding, would it really be a bad thing to aid a student, or even a group of students over Twitter...if of course used responsibly. In doing so, would this not extend the student/teacher relationship a bit too far?

I can only presume it would be down to the individual teacher. I mean, who wants to start helping students outside teaching hours. Plus, if the college have a Twitter account, would the teacher be safer in having such communications.

I see it as an open door to moving with the times, but want to know if its a door worth walking through

Please advise.

3. Sure, my kids all have kept touch with former teachers on issues of a professional nature..
    free twitter followers

4. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

I agree with Crowbob. School/college VLE's are one thing but public forums are quite another. Why take the risk of setting yourself up to be so vulnerable?

5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Do not open the door, do not go through the door... ignore the door, the door is not there!
    From bitter experience of helping students via FB and being fired for it, do not do it!

6. greygaunt

greygaunt New commenter

Just to add my voice to that of Follyfairy and Crowbob - DON'T DO IT...

The current atmosphere of hysterical hypervigilence means that if anything goes wrong it's you who'll be thrown off the troika.

7. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Don't do it ... in England!!! You could end up in a big mess.

But to give perspective, in a forward thinking school I worked in overseas, children and staff had blogs and often comuunicated publicly via these and also twitter. Digitally connected communities. It helped students put their questions to a wider audience, share their work and communicate with other students and schools across the world.

It's sad that in the UK, we are so stifled with fear of persecution, as you say we can't move forward with the times. We have no idea about the workplace our future students will graduate into. Technology has evolved significantly in just a few years.

I think the essence of staff, parents and students being connected in a digital community is liberating and exciting. Never gonna happen in Blighty though!

8. Youcanaskanyone: New social network where you can ask questions, tell your side of the story, and have the person you have issues with tell their side of the story, and let the world decide who's right! Check it out at: http://www.youaskanyone.com/