1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teachers and sick pay

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by brightside_23, May 16, 2011.

1. I have a teacher who went off sick with anxiety in the middle of March. We hoped she would be back after the Easter break but she is yet to return. Due to us changing policy on the 1st April we are not covered by insurance! Grr! It looks unlikely that she will return before September now. My question is, if she returns in September and then goes off with the same thing after Christmas for example, would she be in a new 'sickness year' and be entitled to another 6 months full pay?

2. Yes. Been in this situation of cat and mouse with a teacher for 5 years now! You go through Maximising Attendance Policy but then they visit w@w and you have a phased return and lots of TLC and support. They then go ill again and the policy starts again. I wish this policy could reflect the impact on a school when absence has a pattern over a number of years, especially as the impact is marked. Maybe someone has a solution!