1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers age

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jomaimai, Dec 17, 2015.

1. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I think I am getting paranoid.
    Could it be true that there are not teachers over 30 working im English schools?

My question is: what is the percentage of teachers under 30 at your school?

2. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Have you tried Google?

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'm 48 and only recently returned to secondary teaching in the UK (after postgraduate qualifications and university teaching). The majority of teachers at my small girls independent are over 30. At my last school (one-year fixed term), which was a grammar/academy, most were over 30 as well.....

IceCreamVanMan likes this.
  4. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I've just retired and when I left there 4 teachers, 1 in her late 50's, one in her late 40's and the other 2 mid to late 30's.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I'm 35 and in my school there are 6 class teachers older than me and 3 younger. I'd say average age is around the 40 mark.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I tried Googling staff under 30 in my old school... google laughed at me.

At my old place the demographic definitely veered towards the younger end of the spectrum. Only SLT were over 50. Some middle managers were in their early 40s. Teaching staff were 20s/30s.

jomaimai likes this.
  7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I would think my last school is pretty much the same now except I think SLT is becoming a bit younger 30s- 40s. I think I was the last of the 'old' teachers to leave

(edit: Secondary Academy btw)

8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

My last school, all the older teachers left and were replaced by NQTs. At the moment, the oldest person there is the head teacher, who is 37.

9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'm 48 and work in a one form entry Primary with a nursery. HT is the oldest, in mid 50s. DH is mid 30s. Youngest class teacher is late 20s but most of us are mid/late 40s.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

11. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Everyone's over 30 in my school except for 1 TA. All teachers at least late 30s.

12. Biles

Biles Established commenter

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Take a look at FE College stats, the elders have long been removed.

14. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

I think they are getting much younger in colleges

15. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Amongst the teaching staff at my place, at least half are under 30. Because it's a nice school, there are quite a few older teachers and they've been there donkeys' years. Agree that the age of "management" and "leadership" has fallen dramatically. I have to bite my tongue to avoid inadvertently calling them "Sonny".

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Teachers do age. I age. You age. Everybody ages. Even trees age.

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

18. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

State primary school. 2 teachers (including one NQT) over 30, three teachers just under 30. Head over 45, exec head over 40. The average age, including support staff, is probably about 40. (Remember, an NQT isn't necessarily under 25.)