1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers advised by DfE NOT to go on overseas holidays to avoid quarantine

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

That’s as maybe but as we all know “Do as I say and not as I do” doesn’t work. If your Secretary of State for Transport heads off to Spain for a holiday that gives a very clear message that going abroad is ok. The idiot got trapped by the quarantine later imposed but nevertheless senior Government ministers are holidaying abroad. Joe public will sense their own entitlement too. Personally, I didn’t risk it. A week in a remote cottage in U.K. only and right at the start of the holiday but I can see that many will be fulfilling pre-paid for holidays given that they are allowed to. This is my point - it’s a bit late and a bit rich telling teachers they must not. In fact, if education is such a priority (and it should be) the Govt should be saying this same message to all families of school age children - it is their moral duty to ensure their kids are able to start school on the 1st September as well as staff. Note this is not what they are saying. They are only pointing the finger at teachers and school staff.

2. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Having been for mid week seaside holiday - (have a caravan) - it is heaving along the Yorkshire Coast. Traffic queues going into Whitby - a place to avoid. Apparently Saltburn is also crowded.
    Runswick Bay - heaving and two toilets with huge queues. We came back before the weekend to avoid the crowds.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Apparently there's a 'moral duty' to have all children back in school by September, according to our PM.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53710472

For clarification, that's Boris Johnson, advised by Dominic Cummings, telling us about moral duty.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

:D:D:D:D

minnie me, Jamvic and ilovesooty like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

........In the Daily Mail.

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I agree that if Johnson is going to lecture about the moral obligation to get all children in school at the start of term, that message should be explicitly conveyed to parents.

jellycowfish, Jamvic and Sally006 like this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

What guarantees are there that parents + families who have gone on their hols abroad will have quarantined prior to beginning in 21 days time ?

SummerSkies, Jamvic and Sally006 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I read the article while in the Supermarket this morning - it is entirely predictable in its content.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yeah. That horse bolted up in Barnard Castle back in April. The pair of them have lost all credibility.

10. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

How rude!

Maybe to visit family or friends at least (in the pre-Covid era). There is some lovely countryside near some of those places.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

How sensitive!

'Near' is fine by me.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Couldn't agree more. The whole reason for not going abroad is that the situation could change at any time, as those holidaying in Spain, Belgium etc have discovered.

But nobody has said that teachers "must not" take a foreign holiday. As shown in message #1, it is merely advice. If you go and get stuck, it's two weeks unpaid quarantine and problems for colleagues if this happens after schools have gone back.

I think everyone is aware that quarantine applies to all. It is a risk if you take a foreign holiday at the moment.

13. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Foreign Holidays are still OK but not for you.
    Not warned in time ? So what? we did warn you.
    In Greece already? Keep your fingers crossed.
    Should have stayed at home and put yourself at risk on a beach or for a £10 discount. Special bonus of being paid while isolating if you catch it here.
    Is there anything I haven't understood here?

14. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

So in this instance father's shouldn't use their instincts. It is all very confusing.

Jamvic, bombaysapphire and Yoda- like this.
  15. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

So Borris has a moral compass?
    Perhaps he could have aimed to be The Pope.
    Perhaps in a different time? Say 1500 AD?

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'll be surprised if many schools dock teachers pay if they have to quarantine. No doubt some MATs will.

Also there's the air bridges that the government was so keen to tell us it had put in place. What was the point of them if it wasn't to encourage holiday trips to those countries?

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Mmm ... that might encourage teachers to risk it, in that case.

It's a Pooh-Bah question (for Mikado fans). Speaking as the guardian of the nation's economy, the government wants to prevent collapse of the airline industry. Speaking as the ultimate employer of teachers, the government doesn't want them to be absent from work,

The latter is a fari point. Many employers are warning staff to be careful if they take an overseas holiday. Our next-door neighbour today finishes 14 days quarantine for having been to Spain. His employer was not pleased, because he was supposed to be helping re-open outlets across the UK.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Dobt it, they wouldn't know what the school will do until they got back!

19. fraisier

fraisier Lead commenter

I was to leave to France on Friday with my wife but following health problems with her parents which in the case of her dad have worsened in the last week (minor fall, hips and knees problems), we've decided to stay in England, as her sister, who was supposed to help out and "cover" during our French stay for just under two weeks, isn't sure she can be on hand 24h/7 kind of thing, work-Covid related problems with her husband etc.

And of course and if there's a quarantine on France declared while we're over there, we won't easily be able to help on our return (if we can return at all! Although I don't mind being stuck there for a few days...), I'd have been in quarantine but only missed about 2 working days, 0.4) and given that her sister could have problems to help, it could have left my wife's parents without anyone to help etc. so it was wiser in the end to stay here, we'll potter around in a 100-mile radius and might staycation for a few days but that'll be it.

It sucks and we're losing about £250 but well, c'est la vie, sh.it happens, there's far worse in life, you have to take these things with philosophy (in-laws kindly covering our loss anyway), I was really looking forward to it but it would be indecent for us to feel sorry for ourselves, the situation for so many people is so difficult.

jellycowfish, Jamvic and Dunteachin like this.
  20. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Our MAT made it clear before we broke up that if a holiday had been booked before 23rd March and there were issues returning to work in September then the staff member would be paid for any time off necessary , but not if it was booked after.

Jamvic and SummerSkies like this.