1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers advised by DfE NOT to go on overseas holidays to avoid quarantine

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Went to a large supermarket (Tesco, as it happens) this morning. All customers I saw, and at least 3/4 of the staff, were wearing a mask.

NB Spent over £110 for the two of us. Won't be back for 2 1/2 weeks or so.

Jamvic likes this.
  2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Plenty of people booked holidays before Covid-19 was even heard of.
    Just sayin'

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Tesco yesterday almost all customers were wearing masks but distancing was being ignored by most. The biggest issue was with staff fulfilling delivery orders, extra large trolleys parked in one spot and then wandering in all directions to get stuff.

B&Q had more people without masks including an otherwise fit looking couple in their 40's (both exempt, who'd have thought it). One customer was turned away at the door for not having a mask (at least he was honest) by a member of staff with a mask over her mouth but not her nose. The surly young woman who served me seemed insulted that I assumed she could easily scan the one item I bought without handing it over and also seemed miffed I didn't want the receipt.

Screwfix on the other hand were exemplary, click and collect, first time I've been but it was like supermarkets were the first week ensuring things done by the book.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm supposed to be going away in two weeks. The flight was booked and paid for long before coronavirus was an issue. Accommodation payable on arrival. I'm self employed though fortunately.

5. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Its not the people are ignoring the regulations, it is that they are simply using their instincts as a father.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The sort of holiday that we enjoy simply isn't available this Summer - hopefully they will be next Summer.

I must admit I have absolutely no desire to go anywhere at the moment.

Wotton, Jamvic and install like this.
  7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

How do you make fruit and veg last that long?
    (Other perishables are available)

8. Morninglover

Eat fresh stuff first, then frozen.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I thought that a staycation meant you didn't go away for you holiday. When did it start to mean not going abroad?

nervousned, lardylady, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Who, in their right mind, would want to go to any of those places, even in the pre-Covid era?

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Jamvic likes this.
  12. Morninglover

You might to visit friends, or have a city break... There is a fair bit of history to see in and around Manchester and Leicester certainly. (I don't know the other two cities - perhaps there too).

13. install

install Star commenter

We are not even eating out in the UK, let alone going abroad. It’s too risky.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The current England Test match is in Manchester - in normal times the ground would be full of people.

Ditto the game at the Etihad last night.

15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

These are the people I feel sorry for. Too late for them to get any holiday refund but they now might lose two weeks earnings if they still go away.

16. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Same here.

install likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ignore the quarantine - you can be sure everyone else is.

18. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

We visited a lovely small independent cafe in my home town a couple of weeks ago. . I was very impressed. Temperature was taken before you were allowed in. Staff were wearing masks/visors/gloves and masks and gloves were available for customers to use too. . Tables were all distanced and surrounded by perspex screens. Tables and chairs were thoroughly cleaned before you sat down.Cutlery came in heat sealed bags,along with individual sachets of condiments and serviettes. I felt quite safe. I don't think the staff could have done anything more safety wise. I know people are scared, but if we don't support small businesses we will lose them.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Exactly....

My pride and joy during this period has been the second hand bike I bought from the little bike shop in the village in late March.

LiamD and install like this.
  20. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Is that true? Nizeman and I self-isolated when we returned from the Philippines. It never occurred to us that we wouldn't be required to. When the government announced that such a thing was STARTING on the 11th June, we were astonished and appalled. We flew back on the 11th and behaved ourselves.