1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers advised by DfE NOT to go on overseas holidays to avoid quarantine

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Teachers who have already booked a foreign holiday may now have to consider cancelling it and losing their money.

The Department for Education says teachers need to avoid quarantine as schools prepare to re-open.

Teachers have been advised not to go on overseas summer holidays in a bid to avoid staff shortages due to enforced quarantine as schools across England and Wales prepare to reopen next month.

Ministers are concerned teachers could be about to travel overseas in the weeks before schools are set to reopen and could be forced to quarantine for two weeks on their return even if they are not travelling to a high risk country.

France is the latest country being considered for the UK’s quarantine list this weekend.

Paul Whiteman, general secretary of the Head Teachers Union NAHT, said: “Schools are determined to be ready for the September return but these new rules could leave many teachers confused and potentially out of pocket if their holiday is already booked and not cancelled by the tour operator.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/...achers-summer-holidays-staff-shortages-574090

nomad likes this.
  2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Those who still go away to avoid losing money on holidays they have paid for risk losing two weeks pay on their return.

Teachers have been warned not to travel abroad at the end of the summer holidays because they face potentially losing pay if they are put into quarantine during term time.

Currently employers do not have to pay while you are in self-isolation and you are not eligible for statutory sick pay.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...d-DONT-travel-abroad-end-summer-holidays.html

nomad likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The fact that employers (or govt) don't have to pay while you self-isolate is brain dead. What a way to encourage people to flout the "advice".

#clowns

SummerSkies, Nahmero, LiamD and 15 others like this.
  4. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

It’s a bit late issuing this. This should have been made clear in early July!! The public were actively encouraged to have their holiday but now that’s a rule for everyone else except teachers. Most staff, if going to go, will have gone now. Few would chance the final week of the holidays. Most I know have only had holidays in the UK but this will catch some. Any excuse to “teacher bash” - that lazy lot, how dare they take a holiday!!

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Teaching assistants and other school support staff too? Sorry about the toilets, the site manager's in quarantine after coming back from Benidorm. Yes I know Sqayden's kicking off again but his TA...

Ho hum. There's always Barnard Castle.

Has Grant Shapps had any part in devising these recommendations?

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well yes . Maybe perceived as a bit of hardship now but things will change

needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I think many people will just return to work because of this too. SSP, at the very least, should be made available.

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

For many who have already booked & paid for holidays to these destinations it’s now a straight choice between losing the holiday cost or losing 2 weeks pay.

9. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

This is the thing about the September return. It’s not just teachers that should be mindful of which hot spots they may have visited - it’s all the families too. So here we are with all those families taking their chances on holidays abroad, crowded beaches, mingling with as wide a circle as is possible to imagine, squeezed onto an aeroplane for 2-3 hours with only a flimsy cloth mask, all to be back ready to enter the school environment. Wonderful. It will only take a few with coughs and temperatures and the whole school will be closed. This DFE planning is totally inspired. What a brilliant way of planning for the safe return of children to their desperately needed education!:eek:

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The government travel advice at the start of July was for British nationals to avoid all but essential international travel. I guess some people were very quick to latch on to the exemptions list when it appeared, but i don't think the government actively encouraged anyone to take a foreign holiday. Staycations were, and continue to be, the order of the day in order to support the UK economy.

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

They aren't crowded.

nizebaby likes this.
  12. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

True, many countries are controlling and limiting access to beaches to avoid breaching distancing rules.

It's the ones who've been holidaying on UK beaches you need to watch.

13. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

This isn't news, our school made this perfectly clear before the end of term

14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

What if you go to Leicester, Manchester, Preston or Aberdeen? (Or wherever else is locked down before the start of the Autumn term...)

strawbs and nizebaby like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The quarantine regulations are simply there to be ignored - and most people have.

16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It won't matter if the children have been away and not quarantined so that their parents can get back to work, much of this is based on trust and honesty... not something prevalent in society these days I fear. It will be all back to a fake new normal when the truth is it will operate on a wing and a prayer and everyone has to take their chances.

LiamD, Sally006 and Jamvic like this.
  17. vannie

vannie Star commenter

We had decided not to bother because of the restrictions but reading this advice makes me want to book now!

18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D Awkward squad.

needabreak, bombaysapphire and vannie like this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

During my reluctant supermarket excursion yesterday, I'd estimate about 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 people didn't have masks at all, or were "wearing" them round their necks, or on their chins. I can't see these people having the slightest qualms about ignoring any so-called regulations.

Sally006 and Jamvic like this.
  20. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

The polite ‘give way & distance’ dance when walking down the street seems to have fallen by the wayside too. Quarantining voluntarily will be a minority activity I fear unless serious sanctions are seen to be a real possibility.

Sally006 likes this.