1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers advice needed on moving to the wrong school.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Sparks7, Jan 9, 2012.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

There is no quick fix here.... I would put your head down and keep your eyes open for a job that you think may suit you more. Work to live - Don't live to work.

2. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

They will employ you if you are the best person for the job. Be honest on your application form about your reasons for leaving 1) excessive commute 2) incompatible work/teaching style (or some such). You are still relatively cheap and will presumably have a good reference from your first school. Go for it, keeping up the good work until you get your next job. Read Theo's advice re job applications to give yourself the best possible chance and when you look round a new school/go on interview, try to find out their views/policies on all the things you've found difficult in your present school - will they be any better?
    Good luck.

3. It may seem to be the end of the world but, believe me, it isn't. You have shown yourself to be a competent teacher and you still are. Look for new jobs. Be honest that things didn't work out at your present school. I have been in a similar position a couple of times and the phrase I used on applications was "my time at Bog Standard Comp was not a happy one for me." It clearly did the trick because I was never unemployed in my 30 years in the job.
    Things will get better.

4. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

If you are applying within your current local authority, it is quite possible/likely that the other headteachers may well know about how difficult your current school is and may well understand.
    Be careful not to run down your current school in applications or interviews though, as this might come across as unprofessional.
    Finally, from experience, do consider sticking it out. Your situation may well improve as you become a more established member of staff ... remember that the groups you teach next year will have heard of your reputation for high standards! There is nothing more rewarding than being in a school where you know that you, personally, are making a difference where others might not be able to hack it; there is nothing less rewarding, in my view, than being in a school where they could bring in any muppet teacher and the kids would still behave & achieve well because they are conditioned to do so ... you end up wondering what is the point of all the long hours and hard work!

5. Thank you evey one for your advice!!!! Its nice to know that there are other options and its ok to leave. I am going to keep my head down for the minuet and keep an eye out for other potential jobs! Don't think I will make any hasty decisions anytime soon :)
    Thank you SO much
    xx