1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers ‘£5,000 a year worse off under Tories’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Sep 2, 2017.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

This is probably not a surprise to any teacher....

Quite frankly any teacher who votes Tory is really cutting their nose off to spite their face...

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...s-a-year-worse-off-under-tories-claims-labour

Teachers are now more than £5,000 a year worse off on average in real terms than in 2010 – according to analysis of official data showing the effect of years of pay restraint on the profession.

With millions of children returning to school this week after the summer holidays, teaching unions said the marked decline in salaries was one of many factors causing an ever more serious recruitment crisis .

The data, based on school workforce statistics and government inflation figures, and released by Labour, shows how teachers’ earnings have been eroded, as annual increases in pay have fallen below the rate of inflation

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Aren't most workers on equivalent salaries £5,000 worse off under the Tories?

Pomz and SomethingWicked like this.
  3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Don't read the comments unless you want to feel like the scum of the earth.

Apparently we should all move up north. That'll fix the problem of no teachers in London schools, then...

Mrsmumbles and install like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Lend us a fiver?

Beat you to it.

install likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

We are the Working Poor...and it just confirms that tesching is considered to be just a job. No more - no less...

The message is clear - do not go into teaching if you want to earn a decent wage...

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's not that I would ever be likely to vote Tory, but we do have to ask what sort of pay rises we would have seen under a Labour Government. Their final deal was a fairly mean two year deal, that the Tories honoured. It turned out to be better than any subsequent rises though.
    I suspect that most parties, faced with the budget the way it has been would not have been generous to teachers,

install likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

M6 (or the equivalent these days) is 32K+ - that is not a terrible salary.

Pomz, Sundaytrekker and Ds2d12 like this.
  8. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

The proportion of experienced teachers in the system declines year-on-year. I suspect the NQT pay-grade is closer to the mean teacher income than M6.

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

according to my union I was £8000 worse off this time last year.

10. abukar29386

abukar29386 New commenter

Not when you factor in 60 hours of work, illness caused by excessive stress, being constantly told your no good, working in your holidays and tons of paperwork.

11. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

That's exactly the point. Teachers hours have double in the last 10 years. Add that to the depression of wages and you realise how poor teachers (even on UPS3) are paid.

12. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Well exactly. Personally, I'd rather have improved working conditions than a pay rise. But yes, teachers are well underpaid for the massive job they currently undertake.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Nonsense! Secondary classroom teachers' hours averaged 52.6 pw in last year's workload survey. If it had been half that ten years ago teachers wouldn't even have reached 1265 hours! They've gone up about 8% in last 10 years according to workload survey. It's still a lot of hours though!

Pomz and wanet like this.
  14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Might not be terrible, but it won't provide much in the way of independent living or supporting a family in many cities.

roman_eagle and drek like this.
  15. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Established commenter

As mentioned on Andrew Marr this morning, yes the salary has decreased in real terms but no mention of the workload and thereby the reasons many teachers are leaving the job. The politician only seem to be able to latch onto one thing and cannot see the whole picture and hence the demise of teaching will continue, again kicked into the long grass while brexit continues. The DFE just keep saying we have more teacher now than 2010 and more teachers are entering than leaving.
    My concern is that when this has to be dealt with, drastic emergency measures will be needed and I do not think it is going to be a big uplift in salaries. More like any kind of adult with A levels can teach in primary schools or even secondary schools probably under the supervision of a qualified graduate teacher. It's just a question of whether this will be a parahlta or a lesser unqualified teacher.

schoolsout4summer and mabood01 like this.
  16. mabood01

mabood01 New commenter

I will start working as a maths teacher soon, as I am nearly complete my teacher training course and I am happy with 5000 pound

17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

My Degree course (Primary) was four years. They were talking on Radio 4 (yesterday, I think) about making Degree courses 2 years, to reduce the cost to the student.
    This will surely lower standards as well as reduce costs.

Startedin82 and FrankWolley like this.
  18. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not convinced. Sure that I could have done my degree in haf of the time, and PGCE in about a quarter.

Pomz and SomethingWicked like this.
  19. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Eh?

Shedman likes this.
  20. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

My literature degree could have been done at least twice as fast, but I'm not convinced about my physics degree. Hopefully students/kids don't feel financially pressured to sign up for the more intensive degrees - it'd hinder social mobility even more to see drop-out rates rise among poor-household students.

Pomz likes this.