1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Youtube

Discussion in 'Personal' started by beetroot95, Apr 9, 2019.

1. I knew that teachers were active on twitter, facebook groups and instagram but what is your opinion on teachers posting content on youtube? For example

Would your school allow it? What do you think?
    I'm interested to know

2. I do not work as teacher but I think that it is good idea. I do not see why facebook and twitter would be allowed and youtube not?

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

As with any of these things, I don't think schools can stop you using them, but you have to be very careful about what you post, especially if it is available to anybody. I know if I posted about everything that happened to me at school, I would soon break some rules. Something meant jokingly can still breach school guidelines and lead to disciplinary action. Some take the view that you avoid Facebook etc; my own attitude was that I keep everything private, take care who I accept as friends and never criticise the school or my job. I think posting a public video about life at school would be very risky.

Jamvic likes this.
  4. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Once you start any social media activity on a personal account you are opening yourself up to a variety of accusations. We made it clear that any teacher, or other adult, working with our children could only use authorised accounts that were routed through our staff structure that ensured oversight of all communications. It adds a layer of protection for both students and staff and helps prevent opportunities for grooming and accusations of such.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

If you need people to stare at you and love you then go do something remarkable, these vlogs are awful and no one watches them anyway

Piranha and needabreak like this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think this is going too far. I would agree if it is anything to do with school, but it seems totally unreasonable to stop teachers from using social media independently of the school. As these forums are a form of social media, they would probably die if everything posted on them had to go through "authorised accounts". Or am I misunderstanding?

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes.
    Our school has a Youtube channel. It's for the whole school, and it's moderated and run by HOD IT and Deputy Head. If we want to publish something we just make the video and pass it to them. We all have a few rules, eg check for parental consent for making images of their kids, don't use any names, tell the kids we are filming etc.There are also certain places in school which we are not allowed to film eg computer rooms, departmental offices. I've always assumed the former is a basic burglary deterrent.
    It's pretty good actually. The kids like to do films of their practical work, and we also run advisory videos for mock spoken exams. The biggest input at the moment is from science and drama, which makes sense as in essence they are both very visual.
    HT enjoys the exposure it gives to the school; mentioned to me the other week that it's pretty useful for new intake, which is an interesting point. I assume he meant at the juncture when parents have to make an acceptance of a school place.
    Broadly speaking I think schools don't exploit Youtube enough. It's a good tool, and anybody can contribute. You do need somebody in-house to officially monitor content, as you would for a school social media account, and that covers the concern of posting something that could get you into trouble for some daft reason.
    The one thing that bugs me about our Youtube account is that the reprobate kids get disproportionate and unrepresentative exposure on it, but I guess we're already familiar with that one from photo displays in the school foyer, no? Look-the kid holding the school cup and beaming is also the kid I had to remove three times last week, there's a thing

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    colpee likes this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

There is a big difference between the channel @sbkrobson mentions and the 'look at my dress' sort of stuff in one of the videos linked by the OP (I could not bring myself to watch any more of it). The former is stuff of actual interest to students, parents etc. The latter is the standard garbage produced by people who want to look important. I suspect that many schools would object to a teacher filming them self on the premises.

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Confession-I posted in haste, I did not look at the videos in the opening post, just responded to the words in the responses.
    I think ~i missed the point.
    What a load of fatuous tripe-the woman is clearly deranged, unhinged, overworked and under stimulated by life. She loves her job because she hates herself, and because of it she both emanates dislikeablity, plus is a poor advert for the profession.
    If this sort of tripe were submitted it would not be accepted by our in house channel administrator at all.

In her defense, sounds like she might be getting free clothes from George at Asda in return for her overt reference to them in her mind numbing vlog., I guess on a teacher salary, don't look a gift horse, eh?

Perhaps this is the motivating force behind oPs query-by vlogging, perhaps they will somehow manage to obtain a lifelong supply of Pritt sticks or Peekablocks.

Piranha likes this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Confession - me too! It was only after I read your post that I actually decided to look at them. And I didn't get very far.