1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher writing a Maths Website and App - Need feedback!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by SparkMaths, Jun 23, 2019.

1. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Hi, I'm a Secondary Maths Teacher but my undergraduate degree was in Computer Programming. I've been taking a break from the classroom this year to write some resources using my programming skills to try and make some solutions to problems that wasted a lot of my time in the classroom.

If you've used things like MyMaths, Maths Bot or MrCarter Maths you'll be familiar with the concept I'm going for but I wanted to make something with more types of activities. I posted a similar thread last year and got some great feedback so I'm hoping to get some input again!

I've made a website with activites to show on your interactive whiteboard, there's randomly generated questions, starter tasks on prerequisite skills, multiple choice questions, matching questions/answers and a self marking worksheet:
    http://sparkmaths.com/index.html
    My aim is that this would make a complete basic lesson on each topic, saving planning time for everyone to produce the more interesting parts of the lesson such as problem solving. Because the questions are randomly generated, each activity is reusable if a class needs more time on something.

I've also made an app for smartphones with the randomly generated questions for students to use and an area for them to write their working on, here is a test version that runs in a web browser but I'm planning to put it on googleplay:
    http://sparkmaths.com/appindex.html
    My aim here is that students can use this for homework, revision or differentiation. Eventually I want to link Youtube videos on it to teach each topic too.

Only Number topics are ready so far, so Ratio/Algebra/Geometry/Statistics are locked for now. The links should work in Firefox/Chrome/Internet Explorer at least.

Thanks a lot for reading, please let me know what you think!

2. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I have looked at your website and I can see what you are trying to do. I think there is other sites which do similar things so their isn't really a gap in the market.
    The issue is only having one question on the board could work for mini whiteboard questions or examples but it would be better if there was an option to put multiple questions up.
    I think there is a place for 'random' questions but I think there is a move away from that with teachers wanting to show sequences of questions for progression. Maybe it would work better in an app for revision. Also creating random questions for number is easy and many maths teachers have excel spread sheets which do this. It would be more useful to have the other topics such as geometry. I fear you are wasting your time as you haven't made anything new.

3. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Thanks for having a look! That's really good feedback. I've spent nearly a year on this off and on so the time is already wasted :)

I actually do have most of Geometry done, I have randomly generated 2D diagrams for Trig/Angles/Area and 3D diagrams for Volume. I've also got most of Algebra done including Graphs. Sounds like I need to get more impressive examples online, so I'll get that done next.

What I'm aiming for is more suited for consolidation and revision, particularly when students need more time on a topic but you've used up all the carefully chosen examples you have. I don't think it's going to help much with initial exposure to a topic, there's better ways of doing that.

The single question format is more impressive on a phone or tablet I think, with students using it for homework/revision. I'm going to add a feature for students to download their working, with things like MyMaths you don't usually know how they did the questions.

With competitors, I do need to think carefully about what gap in the market I'm filling. I've found other websites lacking as a teacher as they tend to do only one activity type, so I wanted to try and get a full lessons worth in one place.