1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teacher wearing asexual ring

Discussion in 'Personal' started by crabapple99, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Another teacher in my school has started wearing a black ring, to show she is asexual. I'm asexual myself. I didn't know she was. I'm wondering about wearing one too. Is this ok, to show your sexuality at school do you think? I'm in two minds. I do feel a bit shy of making such a public statement, and I do wonder if it is giving out too much personal information. On the other hand, it's not saying any more about you than a weddingring, is it, and it can only be a goodthing to raise awareness among staff, and of course among students, some of whom will most likely be asexual themselves, and should have the information to recognise it in themselves. I grew up not knowing asexuality existed, and wondering what was wrong with me!

2. What's. The. Point.

I don't even wear my wedding ring.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

What colour ring would signify that I'm a randy old goat?

4. Angry pink.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

If I saw you wearing a black ring, I wouldn't have a clue that it indicated you were asexual. It certainly wouldn't "raise awareness" with me...

6. snigger...how rude. :¬))

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Might I ask why?
    TBH it makes not a jot of difference to my life if you or anybody I know is asexual, gay, lesbian, heterosexual or a sheep shagger.
    Honestly, it doesn't and I very much doubt it matters to anyone else either. Anyway, black is the colour of mourning so the only thing this tells me is you might be mourning your lack of libido.

8. because people know gay, lesbian, and heterosexual exist, but many people don't know asexual exists, and it's not very nice growing up not knowing people like you exist.

9. BelleDuJour

Sorry crabapple but it really strikes me as a non-issue. If you don't fancy anyone and don't like sex why do I need to know about it, and how does wearing a black ring signify this? I have black rings in my jewellery collection but it doesn't mean I'm asexual, and as for wedding rings..............they are worn by gay and straight alike.
    It appears to be you who has the 'problem' and telling the world won't make a difference tothe majority of folk who just live and let live.
    Besides, you are hardly going to suffer the kind of prejudice gay and lesbian people suffer. If you don't like sex or fancy anyone it really is no big deal. I know plently of people who are happily single and with no desire or need to find a partner.

10. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Unless you wear a badge "I am asexual", those who don't know that asexuality exists will not know what the ring means. Of course you may get asked what the ring signifies, but that is hardly "raising awareness".

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've always known that there are people who don't care about sex.

12. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

How do you know the other teacher's ring signifies that she is asexual, rather than just signifying that she owns a black ring?

13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

don't people have better things to do than ask what other people's rings signify? i don't ask about the various ribbons worn.

14. BelleDuJour

Exactly! So why the need to tell the world. If it's an issue to the asexual person speak to your GP or go to a counsellor but please do not brandish your (a)sexuality like a badge of honour for all to see. And, crabapple, do NOTmake a thing of it in school. You'll just open yourself up to mockery from the students.

15. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

1) If I wanted to raise awareness about something and remove a stigma (if one exists) and make people feel positive about their sexuality, I might not choose BLACK as the colour representing my cause.
    2) If people don't know asexuality exists (actually, they do know, they just didn't know it had a name) then wearing a ring is not going to make a difference or raise awareness.
    3) Your time would be better spent contacting the appropriate people and suggesting that asexuality is included in normal sex education and in information available from approved bodies on sexual health/education.
    Disclosing your own sexuality to students is not going to be the way forward, just as I don't tell children I have sex with my husband, why would someone reveal their sex life (or lack thereof) to the pupils just because they appear to deviate from 'the norm'?

16. dc521

dc521 New commenter

I can only echo Eva's thoughts from a gay perspective. I have never directly told children or parents about my private life as it my own business. Considering most of the parents worked it out and don't give a flying f*** is another story. Children just need a bloody good education and while it's great to let them know about the many different types of people in the world, it's in an educational context that this should happen, not a personal one from a teacher.

17. Oh f*** my wedding ring is black! Now what do I do?

18. BelleDuJour

Thinking about it, and reading Crowbob's comment, I'm not sure I, or anyone I know, would ever say to another person 'That's a nice ring. What does it signify?', which raises the question why bother?
    If I like a ring (or any other piece of jewellery someone is wearing) I say so but I'd never assume it signifies anything other than the wearer likes it (or it is a wedding or engagement ring).
    If you think it will mark you out to other asexuals then fair enough, but if you don't like sex or fancy other people there's little point in notifying others of this unless you are saying 'back off'!

19. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    I was thinking perhaps one that was all colours of the rainbow ...

20. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

You must cease and desist from all acts of intimacy else you shall be living a lie