1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher wants to do some evening tuition - What do i need to do?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Thejumpingjew, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Thejumpingjew

Thejumpingjew New commenter

Hi
    I am a 7 Yr experienced teacher who wants to start doing some tuition of an evening. Can anyone tell me:-
    1) Do I need o inform my school? If so what do they need to know?
    2) What about Income tax - what do i need to do about this?

I will probably apply to an agency if this helps.

martin

2. Thejumpingjew

Thejumpingjew New commenter

Hi
    I am a 7 Yr experienced teacher who wants to start doing some tuition of an evening. Can anyone tell me:-
    1) Do I need o inform my school? If so what do they need to know?
    2) What about Income tax - what do i need to do about this?

I will probably apply to an agency if this helps.

martin

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

1) Don't know
    2) Pay it - think you have to declare as self employed or as extra earnings on your PAYE return.

4. Let's put it this way, my mother-in-law worked as a school cook and received a widow's pension, the pension was taxed at the highest rate as it was classed as unearned income.
    If you are working full-time and you do extra work then you will be taxed on that extra income, if you declare it. If you don't declare it and the tax office finds out they won't be happy at all with you. Also if your school finds out you may be in trouble since you may be breaking your contract with the school.
    Yes people do work without informing their schools but if you're caught you need to be prepared to face the consequences. Also be careful about using school resources since they are actually school property and not your personal property. Note this tends to apply to anything you've created on the school premises, so powerpoints, spreadsheets, worksheets etc.
    Sorry to sound negative but for-warned is for-armed.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

What a load of spoilsports. Just go for it and don't tell anyone!

6. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

If you are planning to tutor in your own time, with pupils who do not attend your school, then you shouldn't need to inform the school.
    You should register as self-employed, however - it's easily done online.