1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher wanting to move to Florida

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Frankinstein123, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Frankinstein123

Frankinstein123 New commenter

Hi there,

I completed my PGCE (teacher training qualification with qualified teacher status) last year in England. I also have an undergraduate degree in English and Creative writing. I am coming up the end of my newly qualified teacher probation year (finish April) and I am contemplating doing a masters degree in Education, but at the moment I don't think I would be able to squeeze it in.

I have just got married, we are both 25, own our own home, no kids etc, and like to holiday at least twice a year in America, generally Florida. My question is, how do I go about converting my PGCE qualification to what is needed to be able to teach in Florida? I am going over in April, and contemplating visiting a school (I teach primary so the equivalent over there) to have a nosy around, ask some of the teachers that work there etc. I have tried to contact the Florida education authority by email and phone, but had no luck getting through.

Any help would be appreciated, as at the moment is seems like a mine field!

Thanks
    Frankie

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

In addition to the qualification to teach, you'll also need to check the visa requirements. I would contact the US embassy and find out what you need to do in order to emigrate - which I've inferred is what you're intending to do.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

4. Frankinstein123

Thank you for your replies, I will have a look :)

Frank

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

No problem. Good luck with what you choose to do!

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

7. Frankinstein123

Bit of light reading for me there (y) thanks haha
    Will have a gander over it tomorrow

8. janellewilson

janellewilson New commenter

@Frankinstein123 I'm not sure if you've made any decisions yet, but just wanted to add a bit about the certification process. (I can't help with visa advice.)

I started my teaching career in FL as someone with no teaching experience and no education degree. (My degree is in psych.) That was over 10 years ago. I took a couple of tests, enrolled in a teacher prep program, visited one job fair, and left with a middle school teaching position in language arts. It was ridiculously easy at the time.

Since you have an education degree, the most you'd need to do is provide transcripts and take a couple of tests. I'm not sure if these have changed much, but they were really easy when I took them.

It's still hard to find good teachers for many areas, so it may not be too difficult to find a position. Additionally, you can usually fill out one application for the entire district instead of one for each individual school.

I hope you find that helpful. Let me know if you have other questions or want to know more about the US school system. I grew up in FL and have taught in GA for the past 10 years. (I'm now on the verge of a US to UK move, and I know the school cultural differences are a bit daunting!)

9. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter