1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Voice

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Compassman, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

lanokia, FolkFan and jomaimai like this.
  2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Sounds such a good idea l suspect it will never happen.....

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah I like that idea... that is a good idea.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That is indeed an innovative idea and might make senior leaders think carefully about the way they treat people, but it may not since the most dogmatic ones will carry on regardless and if the school is getting the results required who will actually pay attention?

The truth is school leaders have substantial power with little responsibility. Technically they are responsible yet they are the ones reporting to governors so governors can get a skewed picture from an unscrupulous HT scapegoating to save his/her own position while consistently pointing the finger at every other teacher down the line. You know the saying about what travels downwards! While passing the buck is these HT's key skill!

Not all Ht's are like this but it only takes one and I know of two!

cissy3 and Compassman like this.
  5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I am sure the governors at my last school thought it was great how dedicated the staff were.

In reality, they were scared stiff and daren't question the ever increasing workload.

lanokia and needabreak like this.
  6. needabreak

Exactly Compassman, it can go on for years although it might come out when the HT goes completely barmy if or when results are affected but by then they may have already seen off many a decent teacher, who rightly or wrongly get "persuaded" to sign a gagging clause on the way out the door.

Even if staff are encouraged to speak out in this way, it is hardly whistle blowing since you have to be able to put your head above the parapet and be identified to do that. Perhaps what is needed are really good lawyers and a catalogue of evidence that teachers are performing well which is kept by the teacher to defend any counter claims with fabricated evidence or opinion based judgments to the contrary. It all gets very complicated once openess and honesty are required.

drek, lanokia and Compassman like this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The current situation is about power. SMT's keep their jobs by wielding power to obtain positive results from Ofsted, it works for them and they don't care about the workers, what is the impetus to change? It would be like asking the proverbial turkeys to vote for Christmas.

Being a barsteward of a manager means Ofsted can still like you, many managers today in education only have the one style and it certainly doesn't involve leadership, take away their ability to bully and they have nothing to fall back on, hello classroom again - and they certainly don't want that.

8. desibelle

desibelle New commenter

9. desibelle

desibelle New commenter

We have this in our school. It's great.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm really quite taken by this idea.... my old employer use to do staff surveys about how happy we were. Then the Head would raise them in meetings, bemoaning why we weren't happy. One time Ofsted surveyed us and he almost begged us to be positive.

He never actually did anything to try to make us less unhappy though.

drek, needabreak and Mangleworzle like this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Priceless lanokia, like when Ofsted ask the staff what they think of the school and SMT get the pitchforks out for anyone who isn't overwhelmingly positive, can't possibly be the system that is a problem, clearly it's staff doing the dirty on the fine upstanding and exemplary management and just generally letting everyone down.

drek and lanokia like this.
  12. needabreak

Not sure if this is sarcasm but in an attempt to find out I have to ask how it's great? How does it work? Has it made a difference? Have you now got improved working conditions? Are most people content most of the time? Is staff turnover low? Are students achieving good grades?

If so to what extent is it attributable to an anonymous open mike? Sorry so many questions...

13. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Yeah I really like this idea too. If only I had known, when I made the decision to leave my last place and move into what has become the seventh circle of Hell for me, what the place was actually like I would never have applied. I do agree that it is only going to make it even harder for some schools to recruit but then they need to look hard at staff wellbeing; they only have themselves to blame.

Today in our academy posters went up with a picture of the CEO and a whole big blurb about 'excellence culture.' It also contained a message (to staff presumably because the kids sure aren't going to read it) demanding that we ask ourselves every day if we've given our best?

No, because you sucked the best out of me a long time ago. I've nothing left. THAT'S what I'd say in an anonymous survey.

cissy3 and drek like this.
  14. drek

drek Star commenter

Dfe, ofsted and SLT know how to rig surveys. In our school, run by a super somebody (from 1940s Germany), all the line managers and or leaders managed by the middle leaders etc etc, are spread-out, one or two at each table.
    They tell the rest of us what the supersh it would like to see.
    Survey success

15. drek

drek Star commenter

I get survey anxiety nowdays, because they ask leaders for signs of 'negativity' and target those staff in the next round of appraisals.
    No free speech allowed anymore.

cissy3 and needabreak like this.
  16. desibelle

desibelle New commenter

17. desibelle

desibelle New commenter

Management listen to some of the criticism and do act on it. Our unions are quite proactive which helps. Only those teachers with no real hope of promotion speak out though, on the whole.

18. needabreak

Thats interesting so most staff are happy most of the time? *sounds like a fab arrangement, guess you don't have a high turnover and teachers are probably queueing for the "dead mens shoes" as they say.

How do you know who speaks out is it not anonymous? (Guess not - that's probably why only those who don't need promotion would bother to speak out).

19. needabreak

As I feared :( wholly invalidating the idea then. Smacks of lip service to validate all decisions made in a coercive manner.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Doesn't necessarily invalidate the idea. We all have a teacher number. Just have that as our log in. You can do it at home. They surely know which teacher number is attached to which school.

Bingo, solved. Yes? [or will it turn out like a union vote where only 20% then use it so they declare it invalid].