1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Union Collusion with LA

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by makras, Feb 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makras

makras Occasional commenter

Hello teachers, Educators

I am not a troll nor a **** stirrer. I try to be honest, say things as they are and try to help people. I am not here to be nasty.

I am a teacher, been suffering from discrimination, bullying, harassement and bias from my very famous employer's school and their own management in Scotland Capital City for quite along time. Over 2 years minimum..

I am a member of this supposedly famous union that I have been paying their inflated wages for so many countless years, but unfortunately my famous teacher union is colluding with the my very famous LA in Scotland. I will be writing more about this in the future to help other teachers but I can't say more for now.

I do know why they collude indeed. Greed, climbing the greasy pole make people forget themselves, their roles and lastely their actual duties. Just like our ruling elite.

You think you need a good union that will support you. But most union henchmen/women(REPS) are unfortunately looking for promotions within your school first(you see it everyday) and then their union which in turn, their members are looking for promotions at your lucrative local authority's gravy train system too. Anything where money can be made is a legimitrae target for them.

So, do you need a union? They make you think so. But when you're in deep s*** your union will f*** you up and follow the money trail regardless of anything else including death of anyone.

There are good teacher unions out there. The ones that may genuinely fight for your welfare but you need to do your research and see what other affected teachers like myself say.

Please seek them first before going with the main ones.

You're warned.

Please don't sensor my post. I am trying to help others.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    minacharm likes this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

You’re not telling me anything I didn’t already know as my elder daughter was left by her so called Union reps. She was given dreadful advice (alas she didn’t let me know what was going on TIL she took the Union and HT’s words as genuine and had sent in her resignation - only to find she had been referred to the GTC even though she has done nothing bad enough to warrant that) The school .... amalgamating with others, and its new HT took the opportunity to save on a HoD redundancy/3 year protected pay situation. )
    It has taken her years to get to the position of stepping through school doors as she has just now volunteered to help in a local high school; not that she would ever return to a school teaching post.
    You have my sympathy but i am not surprised.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

My teaching career was not in Scotland, but in England twice over 30+ years I needed the support of my Union (different Unions, as it happens) - each time I feel they did what they could to ensure that I could continue my career elsewhere.

They are not miracle workers - the first time I'd argue I was effectively bullied and hounded out by a HT for no reason at all, but without their support the situation would have been much worse; they could not 'make everything right', their powers are limited, but without their support I don't know how I would have coped.

I would ALWAYS recommend a teacher to be a member of a Union.

4. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Senior commenter

OP - I have to be honest, your post doesn't give the best account of you. It's also not a workplace dilemma, is it? You're just ranting about your union, with no specifics that anyone can help with.

This is patently untrue and silly. Unions aren't perfect, but the idea that reps are feathering their own nest is daft. These are people who do a pretty thankless job, often to the detriment of their own careers (being a rep is a tried and tested way to make yourself unpopular with management). Your experience is that they haven't helped you. What makes you so sure that they are the problem, given the tone and content of this post?

I understand that you're upset because you haven't got the result you were hoping for, but this is pretty paranoid and implausible stuff. What "money trail" do you think is available for unions in "colluding" with management? And "including death of anyone"? What?

Finally, I've known many people over the years who describe themselves in these terms. Guess what they're like.

5. letap

letap Occasional commenter

OP - Unions are not perfect at all, however, if something goes wrong - there is very little protection without union support. A cursory glance through workplace dilemmas would show the varying degrees of support shown to teaching staff. I am sorry that you have been through an awful experience, however, to advise solely based on your experience that union membership is worthless is the wrong advice to give.

6. makras

@ HelenREMfan I really do understand what your daughter has been through. The same happened to me too and it's taking years for me to adjust. All the best to both of you.

@ FriarLawrence yes I was ranting but you're very naive. Only teachers who've been through unfairness can fully understand.

I never advised teachers not to join a union. They should join one to protect themselves.
    All I am saying is that some members of my now ex union have colluded with the LA and I have proof. My ex union have been accused before of bias but I didn't know about it till now. I am also not the only example here. Quite few of my colleagues got the same treatment and some suffered serious health problems and near death.

There are honest and trustworthy unions out there. I now joined the one that really fought for teachers' rights and I am happy with their support and compassion. I should have done that from my first day in teaching instead of following the crowd and joining the main union.

Unfortunately, it is a fact that some union reps think only about their careers.

7. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

Being a union rep to climb up in the school! I have worked in 3 schools where no one wanted the job because the union reps would invariably be found to be a poor quality teacher in observations the second their head is put above the parapet. You are not going to get a promotion as a union rep, in one school a deputy head who turned up to a union meeting was pretty much asked to leave

8. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I was given poor advice and support but looking back it actually has done me a favour. You sound very angry and if I was aware of your situation then maybe i would understand why.
    Let it go and move on. There really is more to life.

9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Union reps in school are in an invidious position. They are employees and have an equal chance ( maybe more as @zcsaa44 says) of scrutiny by employers but they are a ‘first port of call’ for many issues but not all. It is unfair to expect a school rep to a) know the law b) put their health/ careers/jobs at risk. This is why we have regional reps.
    I assume the school reps are ‘elected’ by members in the school - unless there is no one else who wishes to ‘put their head above the parapet’
    Good school reps will refer you upwards (I have also known school reps to be ‘bought off’ by a head) but you can always contact regional office . Such reps should be better informed regarding legal etc issues and have access to better resources

I recognise that, as others have said, unions are not perfect (btw neither are solicitors, policemen, accountants etc. etc)
    I have also seen union reps ‘collude’ with schools to help get the best possible outcome for a teacher who should not be in teaching ( obviously I’m not saying this is the case for you)

I understand your anger and distress and hope you have family and/ or other support to help you through what is clearly a difficult situation.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Censor?

Censure?

11. makras

@nomad thanks for correction :)

I admit I didn’t make myself clear, I was angry and carried on being unclear.

My issues are not with the school’s union representatives. I know they represent a union in schools, not their fault and I did not deal with them.

I am talking about actual union people. Called here in Scotland representatives, secretaries, officers etc.

These are the ones colluding with LA not my colleague (union rep).

Some of you might think what happened to me and my colleagues is just a simple matter that can be easily forgotten but when your whole life including that of your family are gravely affected for such a long dreadful time, you become another person and it will take some time to heal.

What we have been through is called gross neglect of duty of care by both our union and LA according to their standards of practise, guidelines, procedures, code of conduct etc. Papers that all teachers should adhere to but ignored/altered by these institutions to suit themselves.

You are guilty until proven otherwise. And when you’re found not guilty there’s no apology or anything, just “get on with it”.

Is that fair?

I hope none of you get in such dire situations.

12. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

I've basically just been through this situation; harassed out of my position by SLT and the union giving me incredibly bad advice (not to mention outright stating my situation was unfair, but I had still "lost"). Now the union and LA are dragging their heels; I wouldn't be surprised if something was going on behind-the-scenes.

I love this job, but not sure I'll be able to jump back in after all this. Is there anyone else to submit complaints to in situations such as these?

13. makras

I suggest you keep all communications in written format for evidence. No phone calls. I also suggest you read every document related to how things are done and should proceed. (Procedural documents, code of conduct etc.) read them , understand what they mean, see what your union or employer has done and compare. You'll find blunders that you'll use against them. Just don't give in to bullies.

There's nobody else to complain to. You can get a lawyer but that'll make your misery longer and there's no guarantee. You'll be fighting a long battle, they know it, they have the stamina, money and countless lawyers but you don't.

You say you "lost" what do you mean?

14. makras

"I wouldn't be surprised if something was going on behind-the-scenes."
    I bet your union and LA are indeed communicating behind your back like they did with me and caught them with evidence. That's illegal but they do it.

15. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

Oh, there were huge mistakes, but union said they were irrelevant. Failure to follow policy, statements which are factually correct, evidence of harassment. I've got audio recordings too, though I doubt they could be used.

Long story, and I still can't message privately. Bummer.

16. makras

I understand.

Just remember that there's more to life than this ****. These b****** will not get you down.

You should be proud of yourself and go back to doing the job you said you love. Teachers are resilient and you're no different.

I am tring to follow my own advice to get over these hurdles.

All the best.

agathamorse and Penguin47 like this.
  17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If it is actually illegal, and you have evidence, then why not go to the police with it?

18. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Am sorry to hear this. My girl’s case was a long time ago. The school doesn’t even exist any more and the “superhead” (there’s an oxymoron for you ) has probably swanned off to even more elevated heights and super salary. The annoying part is that my daughter didn’t speak to me about it from the outset. She had been rapidly promoted as HoD to a very weak dept and she tried hard to cure every ill. The dumb TA - somehow part time qualified to teach, who felt she should have been teaching in a grammar school (yes Sonia if you are reading on the TES I mean you) had very poor classroom control so my girl took her difficult pupils into her sets and tried to be fair by giving this dumb woman a top set year 9 and 2nd set year 11 (Previous debunking HoDs wouldn’t give her anything but lower sets as she really wasn’t up to it but my girl wished to give her a chance. Big mistake as she lied re coursework, told lies to management to save her on skin and escaped any come back by resigning to relocate to the SW- God help any school getting her) So it all got dumped onto my girl who, rabbit in headlights-like, marked all that teacher’s coursework - it hadn’t been done and made sure no irregularity went on re submission to exam board. She was still set up as if there had been and was advised by one of the largest unions to resign to ensure nothing came of it all. Only superhead reneged on that and referred it to GTC even though all had been remedied. He was prob making sure my girl couldn’t come back on them for constructive dismissal. With her marriage finished- lots of other stuff going on for her, she just wanted to come back north to home. Despite all my pleading she wouldn’t go to the tribunal and fight - she was just so hurt and low. I was and ok still am furious that they got away with it. She was a good teacher, had letters from previous kids...one who had even had a poem published which he attributed directly to her.
    A proper union would have taken that school to task over its woeful lack of support to a new HoD - she had no support from SLT, 2 previous HoDs had left abruptly (one of them accused of bullying by the useless ex TA ) The school/ superhead saved loads by the action he took.... one HoD down at no cost to them, only another 3 or 4 to go! Job’s done. The GTC at least took a sympathetic route in the end - no thanks to the union who I doubt even attended but the damage was done. Her health over the past few years has been worrying and I have no doubt that she will never apply for another teaching post. She is tho enjoying the voluntary English support she has started and I am hoping it will help her join what I do ie working with kids who don’t go to school. That is teaching as it used to be ie doing things for the benefit of the kids and none of the carp that goes on in modern day state schools.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. makras

@ Penguin47 said
    "I wouldn't be surprised if something was going on behind-the-scenes." etc.

TES why have you deleted some posts from this conversation?

20. makras

So after all the hell my family and I have been through I should have gone to the police!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.