1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Training

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by julie gaskill, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Dear Theo I wrote for career advice two years ago and followed the valuable advice given to me.
    My role was as an unqualified Nursery teacher in a Primary school and I was asking how to get onto teacher training, the advice I recieved was that Teacher training could only be completed if I had a degree. I went to University and have just completed my Foundation Degree in Early Years and am now embarking on the third BA Hons year in Childhood Studies and my mentor informs me I am on track for a 2.1
    My role is still unqualified teacher status but I am now anxious regarding which steps to take next. I was hoping to get on an employment based teacher training programme, but have been told these are extremely limited. PCGE wouldn't be a viable option for myself as I wouldn't be able to take a year out of my employment. Someone informed me that one of their work colleagues is in a similar situation and there is a new assessment based programme that actually tracks you in the school you are employed in, which leads to NQT status. Can you please help with any advice I have worked in my school for ten years and this is where I want to stay as a Teacher but feel every time I get over one hurdle another gets in my way, I have also been told at 47 years of age I may be overlooked on any teacher training programmes for younger applicants.

2. Dear Theo I wrote for career advice two years ago and followed the valuable advice given to me.
    My role was as an unqualified Nursery teacher in a Primary school and I was asking how to get onto teacher training, the advice I recieved was that Teacher training could only be completed if I had a degree. I went to University and have just completed my Foundation Degree in Early Years and am now embarking on the third BA Hons year in Childhood Studies and my mentor informs me I am on track for a 2.1
    My role is still unqualified teacher status but I am now anxious regarding which steps to take next. I was hoping to get on an employment based teacher training programme, but have been told these are extremely limited. PCGE wouldn't be a viable option for myself as I wouldn't be able to take a year out of my employment. Someone informed me that one of their work colleagues is in a similar situation and there is a new assessment based programme that actually tracks you in the school you are employed in, which leads to NQT status. Can you please help with any advice I have worked in my school for ten years and this is where I want to stay as a Teacher but feel every time I get over one hurdle another gets in my way, I have also been told at 47 years of age I may be overlooked on any teacher training programmes for younger applicants.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think you mean the GTP (Graduate Training Programme) and yes there is really fierce competition and you usually need to find a school to 'sponsor' you first these days.
    Dont worry about the age issue, 47 is not so old!
    However more worrying is that you say you want to stay on at your present school. Is there a realistic chance of a post becoming available? If not you couldn't expect them to 'manufacture' a new post, plus experience of another school would be really useful ansd schools are all so very different.